DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   securing posts for mini-deck to concrete for less than $200 (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/154078-securing-posts-mini-deck-concrete-less-than-%24200.html)

[email protected] April 19th 06 04:53 PM

securing posts for mini-deck to concrete for less than $200

I am planning to build a 4' x 5' "deck" about 2 feet high by the back
door. I figured I would do the whole thing out of ipe. The surface
under my deck will be an old concrete patio. At McFeelys I found
stainless steel post bases that I could use to secure the posts of my
structure, but these post bases are $50 each. If I use a post at each
corner of the structure that's $200 which makes these post bases a
large fraction of the total project cost. Stainless steel seems to be
recommended in general with ipe because the wood outlasts other
fasteners. (I have read that with the latest pressure treated lumber
you are supposed to use stainless steel in any case because the wood is
very corrosive, so this would be an issue even if I used that instead
of ipe.)

So the question is: are there any less expensive stainless alternatives
for securing my small structure to the concrete patio?

Edwin Pawlowski April 19th 06 11:04 PM

wrote in message

you are supposed to use stainless steel in any case because the wood is
very corrosive, so this would be an issue even if I used that instead
of ipe.)

So the question is: are there any less expensive stainless alternatives
for securing my small structure to the concrete patio?

If you use Ipe, you don't need stainless for the supports. It is not
corrosive like pressure treated so look for an alternative. (my McFeelys
catalog just cam but I've not looked at it yet) For the deck itself, use
stainless and be happy for many years. If you want it to look even nicer,
put a coat of Penofin oil on it every few years and instead of 60 years, you
can get 100 years from it.