DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Finishing Drywall (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/154073-finishing-drywall.html)

drywaller April 19th 06 03:37 PM

Finishing Drywall

Basically, how do you finish drywall? Tape, mud, sand, etc. How long to
wait between coats?

HotRod April 19th 06 04:08 PM

Finishing Drywall

I've been doing this for almost 15 years but it wasn't until a few years ago
that I help a pro. drywaller and now my tech. is fast and easy.

In a tight spot I can do a whole bathroom in one day.

1) I tape with the sticky fiberglass tape
2) Apply a quick coat of "Sheetrock 90"
3) (Wait 30-60 min) scrape high spots and ridges off with trowel
4) Apply second coat of "sheetrock 90" (Wait over night)
5) Sand or apply more sheetrock depending on finish
6) finish with drywall mud
7) Final Sand

news:845366f83bc62aacd83de04851474385@homerepairli ve.com...

C & E April 19th 06 05:15 PM

Finishing Drywall

Check www.DIY.com or do a search for instructions. There just has to be an
online guide for this common task.

RicodJour April 19th 06 05:25 PM

Finishing Drywall

drywaller wrote:
Basically, how do you finish drywall? Tape, mud, sand, etc. How long to
wait between coats?

In case people haven't gleaned onto what the homedespair web site is
doing, they're posting ridiculously simple and incomplete questions,
verbiage indicating numerous questions posted from somone who is
changing their screenname, in an effort to get lots of responses so
they can get more click throughs and earn more money.

In other words, if you answer their questions, you are helping a
spammer earn money. I kind of thought that was against the whole idea
of Usenet.

Additionally, what person would give themselves a screenname like
"drywaller" and have _no_ idea on how to tape and spackle?

HotRod April 19th 06 05:59 PM

Finishing Drywall

WHAT the heck is the notch trowel for? and SAND? I've never heard of using
either. THe sheetrock is strong all by itself.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a few tips here.

You should be sure to use a 3/8" notch trowel to apply the mix, toss a
little sand in it to give it strength, and note that tissue paper works
just as well as those *expensive* fibreglass alternatives.

[email protected] April 19th 06 06:30 PM

Finishing Drywall

I was just screwing around with the good folks (spammers) at
Homerepairlive.com, HotRod. I guess I really should be careful with
this stuff. You never know who's going to take you seriously.

Frank Warner April 19th 06 10:19 PM

Finishing Drywall

In article . com,
RicodJour wrote:

drywaller wrote:
Basically, how do you finish drywall? Tape, mud, sand, etc. How long to
wait between coats?

In case people haven't gleaned onto what the homedespair web site is
doing, they're posting ridiculously simple and incomplete questions,
verbiage indicating numerous questions posted from somone who is
changing their screenname, in an effort to get lots of responses so
they can get more click throughs and earn more money.

In other words, if you answer their questions, you are helping a
spammer earn money. I kind of thought that was against the whole idea
of Usenet.

Additionally, what person would give themselves a screenname like
"drywaller" and have _no_ idea on how to tape and spackle?

After an absence from a.h.r for a few weeks I came back to find all
these really inane questions with the "posted via" sig. at the bottom.
I realize now that questions from that website are somehow being
redirected here. But how do replies posted to a.h.r help this spammer's
click throughs?

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

Robert Allison April 19th 06 10:36 PM

Finishing Drywall

wrote:

Just a few tips here.

You should be sure to use a 3/8" notch trowel to apply the mix, toss a
little sand in it to give it strength, and note that tissue paper works
just as well as those *expensive* fibreglass alternatives.

Now that made me laugh out loud.

But serially, to get truly flat walls, I just start with a
texture sprayer and spray a 1/4" thick coat on the wall.
Screed with an aluminum concrete screed and then apply tape.
Repeat as necessary.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Oren April 19th 06 10:45 PM

Finishing Drywall

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:19:41 -0700, Frank Warner
wrote:

After an absence from a.h.r for a few weeks I came back to find all
these really inane questions with the "posted via" sig. at the bottom.
I realize now that questions from that website are somehow being
redirected here. But how do replies posted to a.h.r help this spammer's
click throughs?

-Frank

Replies from here give the appearance of many users for the site. Web
babies, not yet weaned will suckle. Users of the site do the clicking.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

RicodJour April 20th 06 12:02 AM

Finishing Drywall

Robert Allison wrote:
wrote:

Just a few tips here.

You should be sure to use a 3/8" notch trowel to apply the mix, toss a
little sand in it to give it strength, and note that tissue paper works
just as well as those *expensive* fibreglass alternatives.

Now that made me laugh out loud.

But serially, to get truly flat walls, I just start with a
texture sprayer and spray a 1/4" thick coat on the wall.
Screed with an aluminum concrete screed and then apply tape.
Repeat as necessary.

Bob, that's so 20th century! I'm surprised that someone with your
experience hasn't tried Drywall Peel-N-Stick. It comes in a big roll
and you peel off the backing paper and stick it on the studs. Comes in
colors and flavors, too!

I just drywalled the van and it looks van-tastic!