Posted to alt.home.repair
sparkz

Default How do I remove old floor tile?

I am currently renovating a bathroom that has old floor tiles. What is the
easiest way to remove them? Can I just rough them up with carbide sand
paper on a belt sander and tile over them?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Easiest way but perhaps not the cheapest. I hired a floor man to come in. He
removed the tiles and then sanded off the remaining adhesive with pro
equipment that caught all the dust. Left me with a neat clean floor.

Bob

"sparkz" noreply@ wrote in message
news:fefbf93f59e7e3b5102607b92b9c2023@homerepairli ve.com...
I am currently renovating a bathroom that has old floor tiles. What is the
easiest way to remove them? Can I just rough them up with carbide sand
paper on a belt sander and tile over them?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
newsman

You don't say what the underlayment is. If it's concrete, brute
mechanical scraping can be used. There are manual tools for this, some
of which can be bought at Home Depot and similar stores. There are
powered scrapers as well. Check local rental stores. If you have an
air compressor, air-driven gasket scrapers can be bought for as low as
$50 or so. A wood-product underlayment requires more finesse. More
delicate scraping and prying along with application of heat (not too
much) can be used. Of course, if you are going to replace the
underlayment, then a cruder approach can be used. Under no
circumstances should grinding or sanding be done unless you are
absolutely certain the tiles don't contain asbestos, which many old
tiles do.