Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
GRAPE

Default new carpet odor

After about 20 minutes in the room where we've had our new carpet
installed about one month ago, my eyes burn and my throat gets a
"little acidy". I start feeling cruddy. I've move my office down there
in the basement and my subliminal reaction is to get the heck out of
the room.

We recently finished our basement about six weeks ago. Very dry with a
dehumidifier running and humidity levels very low and not pets or food
present. We put in a new synthetic Burbur carpet from Home Depot,
about four weeks ago and I've been working there everyday as my office.
My problem is the smell. It's definately a synthetic smell below the
surface. You could desribe it as "thick" or "gamey", like if you wore
the same wool sweater for a month. It's not BO and it's hard to
describe as a chemical smell, but it's not a "natural" smell. We've
kept our windows open for many days and the smell doesn't go away.

Does anybody have any ideas? What would help with the smell?
Shampooing the rug, ripping it out ,trying a new type of carpet. I've
read the controversy about new carpets, but I am not hyper sensitive to
chemicals, I just don't like the smell.

Home Depot seems to have a department that is very familiar with this
type of complaint. They are sending someone over here. How do I deal
with Home Depot? Will they come and clean the carpet? Give me a
different carpet?
What type of tests will they do? How should I pursue this?

Thanks so much for any constructive comments.

Mold odor on carpet. Sam Nickaby Home Ownership 8 January 8th 06 08:08 AM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
New Carpet Causes Water Odor [email protected] Home Repair 9 September 5th 05 03:20 PM
Carpet problems, please help [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 10th 05 10:31 PM