DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lp to Natural gas for BBQ (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/153660-lp-natural-gas-bbq.html)

Paul Olmsted April 16th 06 11:56 PM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can
you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas
but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run
about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also
bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Edwin Pawlowski April 17th 06 12:17 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

"Paul Olmsted" wrote in message
Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect.
Can you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural
gas but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would
run about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial
was also bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks.
Thanks.

Most every brand makes a kit for conversion. Check out the web page of the
one you are interested in. Go to some place other than Lowes for a good
selection of quality grills instead of the mass market stuff. Propane
dealers and some garden shops carry better quality brands.

Doug Miller April 17th 06 12:51 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

In article , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Paul Olmsted" wrote in message
m...
Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect.
Can you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural
gas but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would
run about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial
was also bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks.
Thanks.

Most every brand makes a kit for conversion. Check out the web page of the
one you are interested in. Go to some place other than Lowes for a good
selection of quality grills instead of the mass market stuff. Propane
dealers and some garden shops carry better quality brands.

... at substantially higher prices, of course.

There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than at
Lowes.

--
Regards,

Dan Espen April 17th 06 12:56 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

"Paul Olmsted" writes:

Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can
you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas
but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run
about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also
bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.

I'm surprised more people don't go this route.

I got mine online at Dickson Supply.

I don't think a conversion is the right way to go.
Most of the bottled gas models are on wheels.
With NG you want something that doesn't move around.

Toller April 17th 06 01:08 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

"Paul Olmsted" wrote in message
Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect.
Can you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural
gas but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would
run about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial
was also bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks.
Thanks.

I found it was cheaper to buy a natural gas grill than to try to convert a
LP grill.
I suspect they only make expensive ones in NG because that is what sells.

Tony Hwang April 17th 06 01:12 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

Paul Olmsted wrote:

Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can
you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas
but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run
about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also
bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.

Hi,
Up here in Canada, NG ones are about $50.00 more. Just buy a model made
for NG hook up. My gas outlet was already on my patio w/ball valve. I
just installed quick connect fitting with a length of hose. I can move
around the BBQ quite a bit. No more lugging around tank to refill.

PDQ April 17th 06 01:25 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

"Paul Olmsted" wrote in message ...
| Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
| have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can
| you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas
| but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run
| about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also
| bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.
|
| --
| Paul O.

All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.

See your local BBQ dealer.

--
PDQ

Rudy April 17th 06 02:17 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of
propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to
it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the
desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.

I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ
shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.

See your local BBQ dealer.

Thats who did the job..works fine

Edwin Pawlowski April 17th 06 02:52 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

.. at substantially higher prices, of course.

There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than
at
Lowes.

You get what you pay for. You won't find this at HD or Lowes.
http://www.napoleongrills.com/Websha.../Benefits.html

Don Wiss April 17th 06 03:55 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

Or this one? http://www.rhpeterson.com/firemagic/

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

George April 17th 06 01:17 PM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

Doug Miller wrote:

There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than at
Lowes.

Possibly but the quality will be similar.

PDQ April 17th 06 03:06 PM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

"Rudy" wrote in message news:s0C0g.30268$7a.24055@pd7tw1no...

| All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of
| propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to
| it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the
| desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.
|
| I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ
| shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.
|
| See your local BBQ dealer.
|
| Thats who did the job..works fine

Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but, because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not attain the desired temperatures.

--
PDQ

PipeDown April 17th 06 10:42 PM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

"PDQ" wrote in message
"Rudy" wrote in message

| All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output
of
| propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to
| it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the
| desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.
|
| I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ
| shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.
|
| See your local BBQ dealer.
|
| Thats who did the job..works fine

Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but,
because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not
attain the desired temperatures.

--
PDQ

--

You may also need to replace the valves so they operate over the desired
range. Since you need 2x as much NG. High on a propane knob will only be

PDQ April 18th 06 03:00 AM

Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

"PipeDown" wrote in message ink.net...

| "PDQ" wrote in message
| "Rudy" wrote in message
| |
| | All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output
| of
| | propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to
| | it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the
| | desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.
| |
| | I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ
| | shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.
| |
| | See your local BBQ dealer.
| |
| | Thats who did the job..works fine
| |
| |
| |

| Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but,
| because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not
| attain the desired temperatures.
|
| --
| PDQ
|
| --
|
| You may also need to replace the valves so they operate over the desired
| range. Since you need 2x as much NG. High on a propane knob will only be
| medium with NG. It depends on your model. For highest efficiency, even the
| holes in the burner should be considered.

Hey Pipe;

Nice to know there is somebody who actually agrees with me.

--
PDQ