DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Trim removal question: How to make my interior seamless -- Lotsa Pictures (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/153498-trim-removal-question-how-make-my-interior-seamless-lotsa-pictures.html)

[email protected] April 15th 06 07:32 PM

Trim removal question: How to make my interior seamless -- Lotsa Pictures

All windows, doorways, and wall corners have crappy wooden trim
borders:

http://plaskon.netfirms.com/images/diy/corner.jpg (paste image link in
new browser)

When I take the trim off, there is a gap between the dry wall and the
sash.

http://plaskon.netfirms.com/images/diy/gap.jpg

What can I use to fill the gap?
And how can I ensure that the gaps between wall corners maintains a
sharp edge like this?

http://plaskon.netfirms.com/images/diy/seamless.jpg

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

mikeytag April 15th 06 11:10 PM

Trim removal question: How to make my interior seamless -- Lotsa Pictures

I would love to take a look at the pictures but when I go to those urls I
receive this error message:
"Directly downloading images is not permitted on the Netfirms FREE plan. If
you are the owner of this site, either ensure that this image is embedded
in a web page, or upgrade to one of the Netfirms premium plans."
Looks like you need to make a simple web page with the images in them. It's
pretty easy just make a file in notepad called images.html and put the
following line in it:

Once that's done upload it to your diy directory and post the link to the
html page.

Mike

marson April 16th 06 01:19 AM

Trim removal question: How to make my interior seamless -- Lotsa Pictures

i'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. what you call a "sash"
is really a jamb (a sash is a part of the window that holds the glass).
this gap between the drywall and the jamb is usually covered with
trim. the only time it is not is when drywall wraps around and butts
into the window, but that involves adding peices of drywall, applying
a corner bead, and then three coats of mud followed by sanding and
painting. on your door openings that have wood jambs and wood casings,
you can just wrap them with drywall. or perhaps you just want new
trim?

Joey April 16th 06 01:44 AM

wrote:
All windows, doorways, and wall corners have crappy wooden trim
borders:

http://plaskon.netfirms.com/images/diy/corner.jpg (paste image link in
new browser)

When I take the trim off, there is a gap between the dry wall and the
sash.

http://plaskon.netfirms.com/images/diy/gap.jpg

What can I use to fill the gap?
And how can I ensure that the gaps between wall corners maintains a
sharp edge like this?

http://plaskon.netfirms.com/images/diy/seamless.jpg

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

I don't understand why you want to fill these gaps as this is normal.
It's the trim that covers this and you can replace the trim with a
different style but it must be wide enough to cover the gap. Perhaps
you didn't know that if you go into anyone house and pull of the trim
around the doors this is usually what you will see. Carpenters don't
try to make it look good since they know it will be covered up.

Keith April 16th 06 04:12 AM

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:44:11 -0400, Joey wrote:

wrote:
[...]

There is *supposed* to be space between the jams and the structural
elements (windows too). If they were tight the jams would warp
putting stress on the doors (windows).

--
Keith

Murray Peterson April 16th 06 10:27 PM

Trim removal question: How to make my interior seamless -- Lotsa Pictures

wrote in news:1145125925.925098.16400
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

All windows, doorways, and wall corners have crappy wooden trim
borders:
When I take the trim off, there is a gap between the dry wall and the
sash.
What can I use to fill the gap?
And how can I ensure that the gaps between wall corners maintains a
sharp edge like this?

Trim is the normal method for accomodating differences in thickness (and
expansion ratios). Try some of these products for finishing your drywall
without the need for trim pieces:
http://www.dietrichindustries.com/products/

You should probably still expect small cracks to appear at some boundaries
-- various parts of your house will expand and contract by differing
amounts, and trim pieces are the usual method for accomodating this.

--
Murray Peterson