DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fixing delta ball-type faucet - can't remove handle (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/152614-fixing-delta-ball-type-faucet-cant-remove-handle.html)

[email protected] April 8th 06 11:03 PM

fixing delta ball-type faucet - can't remove handle

I want to fix the ball-type faucet in our tub. Since it drips from the
tub spout, I anticipate that I'll need to replace the ball (that
tightening the adjusting ring probably won't do it).

So I went to begin the job, and I could not remove the handle after
loosening the allen screw that holds on the handle. Even after
completely removing the allen screw, the handle would not pull off.

Any suggestions?

[email protected] April 8th 06 11:55 PM

fixing delta ball-type faucet - can't remove handle

try jarring or heating it gently, i hate when stuff doesnt come apart

Speedy Jim April 8th 06 11:59 PM

wrote:
I want to fix the ball-type faucet in our tub. Since it drips from the
tub spout, I anticipate that I'll need to replace the ball (that
tightening the adjusting ring probably won't do it).

So I went to begin the job, and I could not remove the handle after
loosening the allen screw that holds on the handle. Even after
completely removing the allen screw, the handle would not pull off.

Any suggestions?

The handle is probably corroded tightly on.
Heating it is one way to loosen it, but that's
probably not practical.

You can remove the big nut and take the whole
assy out. The ball is the least likely part
to need replacement.

Have a look at Delta's site:
http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal
If you burrow deep enough there is some good
support info if you can identify the model.
Buy some parts *before* you take it apart.

Jim

Mikepier April 9th 06 01:30 PM

fixing delta ball-type faucet - can't remove handle

Whatever you do, be careful when trying to loosen the ball assembly. If
its hard to loosen, DO NOT force it. You will end up twisting the
entire shower body inside the wall and damage it. Thats what I did.
Fortunately it did not break or leak, but my faucet is a little crooked
now.
Make sure when you shut off the water to open the faucet to relieve any
pressure.
If the ball assembly cannot come off, you might want to use a small
hack saw and carefully saw on 2 opposite sides of the ball carefully
without hitting the threads of the shower body, then gently pry off the
ball. Of course you will have to by a new ball assembly, but its better
than replacing the shower body.

[email protected] April 9th 06 01:42 PM

fixing delta ball-type faucet - can't remove handle

might be cheaper to buy the entire valve assembly in advance to have
all the parts on hand.

frequently a lot of parts costs more than the entire assembly