Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time for plumbing!

Hello, helpful people! Many of you know me from other hit postings such
as, "Will my house blow up if I wire it this way?" and "Does that look
like mold to you?" Well I have good news! I am branching out from my
typical field of electrical work and moldiness and have started doing
some of my own plumbing.
So....

I was setting a toilet last night.I put the whole thing together
(rather surprised that it seemd so easy) and started tightening the
T-bolts. I noticed that they kept turning and weren't getting all that
tight. So I bit the bullet and removed the toilet to see what was going
on. It seems the cast iron flange separated from the cast iron drain
pipe. Looking at the assembly, I don't know how they were ever
connected. The thing was mightily corroded, though. Anyway that's off
topic. So I went to my local Home Depot and showed the guy the piece.
He actually admitted he didn't know how to fix it! And some something
about being, "just the night guy. And the smart guy already left for
the day."

So I looked around myself and found a PVC replacement flange with a
gasket which thickens as you screw it into the drain pipe. So this
replacement fits INTO the pipe while the other fit AROUND the pipe.
When I put the replacement in, since the other flange fit around the
pipe, there is just an empty space under the screw holes which you'd
normally use to secure the flange to the floor. I was told by a family
member that this is a very common occurance and that a plumber told him
it's okay since the flange isn't going to come out of the drain pipe
since it fits in pretty snugly once you tighten and expand that gasket.

So I believed him and completed the toilet installation. It flushes, no
leaks so far.
But I am worried because the toilet has a very slight wobble. So
slight, in fact, that I can't even get a plastic shim under it.

Do I need to remove the toilet and fill the empty space with concrete
to anchor the flange?
Thanks!

-ben

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

wrote:

[...]

Congrats on the new career! g

You're probably OK to leave it alone. The expansion
flange does provide quite a good fastening.

Instead of a shim, squirt some silicone caulk in
a few spots around the bowl base. It acts as a
stabilizing shim and also gives good adherence to the floor.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:

[...]

That will do it - i also like to use some plumbers putty under the china
to cushion it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i had this same problem.i cut 2x4 and screwed it in between the floor
joists up next to the toilet main pipe.used some longer srews to secure
flange to 2x4. lucas