Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ductless exhaust fans

Hi all,

Our basement bath doesnt have an exhaust fan yet. It has a big window
though. So, we open it up in summer and dont have a big issue with
moisture and smell. But, living in new england, we have a pretty long
winter and have a difficult time taking a hot bath in this bathroom.

I am worried about breaking up the ceiling to do the duct work for a
proper exhaust fan. Would a ductless exhaust fan work in this bath ?
This is not a big room and it has a shower. Do you guys have any
suggestions ?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

It will remove smells as long as you maintain its filter but it will be
useless against moisture.

Perhaps you could modify the window to either temporarily or permanently
hold the fan. If you have divided light windows, you can remove one pane
and replace with a duct or if you can open it part way and insert some sort
of homemade fan adapter.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Our basement bath doesnt have an exhaust fan yet. It has a big window
though. So, we open it up in summer and dont have a big issue with
moisture and smell. But, living in new england, we have a pretty long
winter and have a difficult time taking a hot bath in this bathroom.

I am worried about breaking up the ceiling to do the duct work for a
proper exhaust fan. Would a ductless exhaust fan work in this bath ?
This is not a big room and it has a shower. Do you guys have any
suggestions ?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

wrote in message oups.com...
Hi all,

Our basement bath doesnt have an exhaust fan yet. It has a big window
though. So, we open it up in summer and dont have a big issue with
moisture and smell. But, living in new england, we have a pretty long
winter and have a difficult time taking a hot bath in this bathroom.

I am worried about breaking up the ceiling to do the duct work for a
proper exhaust fan. Would a ductless exhaust fan work in this bath ?
This is not a big room and it has a shower. Do you guys have any
suggestions ?

How about a through-wall fan?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just stirring the air can be enough- you could install an overhead
forced-air heater, its only a little larger than a fan/light combo, and
you get to step out of the shower to a nice toasty bathroom.

The increased air temp will also hold more water, keeping it
uncondensed, and when you open the door the moisture will migrate
around the house (good in winter).

Dave