DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dutch white clover (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/151807-dutch-white-clover.html)

tenplay April 2nd 06 11:17 PM

Dutch white clover

I have a large grassy area in back of my house that measures around 2000
square feet. It's just a collection of grasses, weeds, crab grass and
bald spots - not much to look at. I just mow it down every two weeks
during the growing season. Anyway, someone suggested to me to replace
it with Dutch white clover. I bought a bag of seed at the local farm
supply store. After reading the seeding directions, I'm not sure how it
would work best in my case. Do I need to till the present grass first
or can I just scatter the clover seed over what I already have? I heard
that the clover will eventually squeeze out the weeds and crab grass.
BTW I live in Western Washington, where it is raining as usual today.
Thanks for any advice.

George E. Cawthon April 3rd 06 01:11 AM

Dutch white clover

tenplay wrote:
I have a large grassy area in back of my house that measures around 2000
square feet. It's just a collection of grasses, weeds, crab grass and
bald spots - not much to look at. I just mow it down every two weeks
during the growing season. Anyway, someone suggested to me to replace
it with Dutch white clover. I bought a bag of seed at the local farm
supply store. After reading the seeding directions, I'm not sure how it
would work best in my case. Do I need to till the present grass first
or can I just scatter the clover seed over what I already have? I heard
that the clover will eventually squeeze out the weeds and crab grass.
BTW I live in Western Washington, where it is raining as usual today.
Thanks for any advice.

I would lightly rake the ground and then just
spread the seed. You could also get a bale of
straw and scatter that very thinly.

Be aware that clover will draw bees if you let it
head. However it will much improve the ground for
the grass.