DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Got an electrical problem, need assistance (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/151799-got-electrical-problem-need-assistance.html)

Shopdog April 2nd 06 08:11 PM

Got an electrical problem, need assistance

Ok, Heres the situation, our front lamp post is out along with garden lights
(hard wired). Found a problem the electrical outlet had been planted
(literally) so it was full of rust and moist dirt. Ok, I removed the bad
outlet replaced it with a weatherproof one mounted off the ground. got 121.6
v at the outlet. I put in NEW bulbs in the lamp post and nothing. I check
voltage at the post 121.6 put another bulb in nothing, I go back to the
outlet and check voltage, this time its 91.3. I unscrew the bulb and the
voltage goes back to 121.6v. OK, I removed the lamp post head, nothing wrong
up in there, but I cleaned it out and put it back. Still getting 121.6, so I
decided to check the outlet out in a different way, I plugged in my trouble
light and nothing the voltage dropped to 86.3. Unplug the light voltage back
to 121.6.
I'm stuck!

Searcher

Ralph Mowery April 2nd 06 08:39 PM

"Shopdog" wrote in message
[...]

Somewhere you have a bad connection. Check all the wiring for a loose or
corroded connection all the way back to the fuse/breaker box. The high
resistance joint is dropping the voltage when you put a load on the circuit.

Shopdog April 2nd 06 08:48 PM

Got an electrical problem, need assistance

I have checked the switch / junction box in basement where 14/2 changes to
an under ground cable, all that looks good with good connections. I am going
to drop the post from the loop and see if the outlet will hold the load, if
not then I will go to the junction box and see if I can put a load in there
and see if it holds. After that I think I will need to call an electrician.
The switches are new (dimmer).

Searcher

Jeff April 2nd 06 09:26 PM

Got an electrical problem, need assistance

It wouldn't surprise me if the person who put a plug in the ground also
might of put a splice in the ground somewhere as well. Did you measure the
voltage where the wires connect inside the house with a load on the circuit
just in case? Also outside wiring like this should have GFI protection,
upgrade as well while you are at it.

Tony Hwang April 2nd 06 09:28 PM

Shopdog wrote:
I have checked the switch / junction box in basement where 14/2 changes to
an under ground cable, all that looks good with good connections. I am going
to drop the post from the loop and see if the outlet will hold the load, if
not then I will go to the junction box and see if I can put a load in there
and see if it holds. After that I think I will need to call an electrician.
The switches are new (dimmer).

Searcher

Hi,
Something not right between from the top of post to bottom.

mm April 3rd 06 05:16 AM

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 19:11:17 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

[...]

My guess is that the problem is in the post, but first plug something
other than the post into the outlet. Like a lamp. Does that work.

Voltage is always at maximum when there is no current. It doesn't
drop until there is current. So you have a circuit, but you have a
bad connection with higher than normal resistance. The voltage drops
there. Is it between the house and the outlet, or btween the outlet
and the pole light. Find that out first.

Searcher