DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Does portland cement get "stale"? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/151547-does-portland-cement-get-stale.html)

[email protected] March 31st 06 06:56 PM

Does portland cement get "stale"?

Does bagged ordinary portland cement get stale after a while? --in
other words does it lose it's ability to perform up to it's
specification? If so, how can I tell if its not worth using?

I have about 5 sacks that have sat in my garage for several years.
While the powder hasn't
hardened its somewhat cakey or crusty.

--Zeb

Goedjn March 31st 06 07:08 PM

On 31 Mar 2006 09:56:43 -0800, wrote:

Does bagged ordinary portland cement get stale after a while? --in
other words does it lose it's ability to perform up to it's
specification? If so, how can I tell if its not worth using?

I have about 5 sacks that have sat in my garage for several years.
While the powder hasn't
hardened its somewhat cakey or crusty.

Unless you've got a calcining furnace, what you've got
there is 5 bags of clean fill.

[email protected] March 31st 06 07:31 PM

Does portland cement get "stale"?

I was in the same boat as you last fall, with a couple of old bags in
the garage, probably about four-five years old. Wanted to use them to
set a fence post.

Did some googling and while I don't remember the exact reasons, etc.
Basically it won't work. So, I spent $13 on a bag of rapid set, which
nearly set too quick (15 minutes and that stuff was HARD).

[email protected] March 31st 06 07:40 PM

wrote:
Does bagged ordinary portland cement get stale after a while? --in
other words does it lose it's ability to perform up to it's
specification? If so, how can I tell if its not worth using?

I have about 5 sacks that have sat in my garage for several years.
While the powder hasn't
hardened its somewhat cakey or crusty.

Humidity get's to it and it's no longer anywhere near it's rated strength.
What you've now got is some fill, admittedly something that will, when
mixed with water pack down realy good. If all you're doing is a very low
demand fencepost sort of thing, sure, maybe for some out of sight fill.
But other than that, it's shot: anything you mix up will be very low
strength and crumbly.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.

[email protected] March 31st 06 08:42 PM

Does portland cement get "stale"?

If it's been in there for years then forget about using it.

Doug Miller April 1st 06 04:54 AM

In article . com, wrote:
Does bagged ordinary portland cement get stale after a while? --in
other words does it lose it's ability to perform up to it's
specification?

Yes, it does.

If so, how can I tell if its not worth using?

See below. :-)

I have about 5 sacks that have sat in my garage for several years.

They're no good.

While the powder hasn't
hardened its somewhat cakey or crusty.

That's how you tell that it's no good. You see, the stuff cures by means of a
chemical reaction with the water that you add to it. The same reaction occurs
(more slowly, but it occurs nonetheless) with water vapor in the air, causing
the powder to become cakey and crusty. The chemical reaction can occur only
once -- and now that it's already happened, it won't happen again. You have
five sacks of garbage.
--Zeb

--
Regards,