Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do i do with salvage lumber?

Help!
I am about to get two frame houses that are non livable
I am trying to figure out what to do with all this used lumber?
Can it be profitable to re-use?
Is here some other thing to do with it?
Whats the best (most profitable) way to handle this?

John M Satterfield C.H.T.
See my site about US Govt. funding for a special const. project
Contractor's Goldmine
www.http://www.tinyurl.com/zwbm5

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

wrote:
Help!
I am about to get two frame houses that are non livable
I am trying to figure out what to do with all this used lumber?
Can it be profitable to re-use?
Is here some other thing to do with it?
Whats the best (most profitable) way to handle this?

John M Satterfield C.H.T.
See my site about US Govt. funding for a special const. project
Contractor's Goldmine
www.http://www.tinyurl.com/zwbm5

If you have lots of time, you can salvage it, pull the nails and use
it. Sheds, raised beds in gardens, etc. Is it worth it? Only if you
count your time as totally worthless. I tore down a two story house
plus a schoolhouse. Managed to build the floor deck and one wall of an
18x30' addition before I gave up. Traded the rest to a guy for a one
lunger engine. Of course all that lumber was the rough cut stuff with
rarely any two 2x being the same dimension. The 2x8 floor joists had
to be either shimmed or trimmed on both ends - every one of them- to
make a flat floor.
Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

I would just hope and pray that I didn't have to pay dump fees to
get rid of it. If you have a personal project and are willing to
fight that tough, dried out, brittle old framing lumber, you can
save a few dollars compared to new material. You will spend
plenty of time pulling nails. If it is old yellow pine, even nail
guns don't like to drive into it.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
Help!
I am about to get two frame houses that are non livable
I am trying to figure out what to do with all this used lumber?
Can it be profitable to re-use?
Is here some other thing to do with it?
Whats the best (most profitable) way to handle this?

John M Satterfield C.H.T.
See my site about US Govt. funding for a special const. project
Contractor's Goldmine
www.http://www.tinyurl.com/zwbm5

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B.

Harry K wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Contact the Habitat folks to see if they can use it. Or maybe some
church group that wants to repair someones house as a project.
Also a Boy Scout group might want to build a Scout hut (for meetings)
and Merit badge training. Good luck. Chuck B.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Try posting to rec.woodworking. Somebody there might have an idea

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

wrote in message
ups.com...
Help!
I am about to get two frame houses that are non livable
I am trying to figure out what to do with all this used lumber?
Can it be profitable to re-use?
Is here some other thing to do with it?
Whats the best (most profitable) way to handle this?

John M Satterfield C.H.T.
See my site about US Govt. funding for a special const. project
Contractor's Goldmine
www.http://www.tinyurl.com/zwbm5

If you pull the nails and stack it somewhere I can back my truck or trailer
then I'll take it off your hands for free so you do not have to pay dump
fees. (As long as you are near by).

My guess is thas the best offer you will find.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

wrote in message
ups.com...
Help!
I am about to get two frame houses that are non livable
I am trying to figure out what to do with all this used lumber?
Can it be profitable to re-use?
Is here some other thing to do with it?
Whats the best (most profitable) way to handle this?

John M Satterfield C.H.T.
See my site about US Govt. funding for a special const. project
Contractor's Goldmine
www.http://www.tinyurl.com/zwbm5

John:

Depends on the species of the wood as far as I'm concerned.

If you're in the East and it's White or Southern Yellow Pine, or in the West
if it's Fir, it's not worth your time to pull nails unless these structures
have any significance to you then you could make a piece of furniture, or a
sign, out of the best of the best. Now if there are nice hardwood floors or
some other hardwood millwork that MIGHT be a different story.

The only problem with old buildings you don't know is that you don't know
what might have been spilled on the wood floors, hell, they could have been
crack labs for all you know.

If you're just looking to get rid of them and they are still standing offer
them to a fire department (not just the department in the town they are
located in, other will travel to burn down a good house!). They are always
looking for buildings to burn for training purposes and you don't have to
worry about any demo permits. They usually burn and extinguish several
times, just talk to the chief and in return for the donation tell him you
would like him to let them burn out completely the last time.

I would also think your could take a tax deduction for the donation to the
governmental entity only I wouldn't overdo it too much as you will need an
appraisal for over a $500.00 donation I think but then again the Chief could
give you one on FD stationary and you would be set there too.

Much, much, less to dispose of if you're going to have to pay landfill fees.
You're going to be waiting forever to try to get somebody to take their wood
off your hands for free.

Just my $.02 on how not to get beat up too bad and for something to think
about.

Jay

christmas cash Mark Hopkins Woodturning 4 November 5th 04 05:02 AM
Check out my new lumber auctions on Ebay Gary Woodworking 0 October 23rd 04 02:31 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
NEW EXOTIC LUMBER STO HOMESHOP HARDWOODS LOWHITENER Woodworking 2 September 11th 03 10:20 PM