Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice for repair of corroded hot water line

I have a corroded soft copper tube (Type M?) hot water line that is
laying on the ground in a short crawl space under the kitchen floor.
I think the line corroded because it contacted the soil rather than
being hung from the joists. I want to repair the line. I cut a hole
in the kitchen floor to expose the work area. The defect is corrosion
pinholing.

The first fix I tried was to cut out a generous amount around the
defect and then splice in new Type L with 2 compression fittings on
either end. That did not work - probably because the soft copper
tubing had reduced OD and wasn't "snuggable" in the compression
fitting.

Next, I tried sweating in some couplers to a new splice. That did not
work; I had small partial failures at the joints. I had cleaned
(sandpaper) especially well (but obviously not well enough). I also
fluxed/pre-wetted the old ends by heating and flowing and then wiping
away the solder so as to keep it fairly thin. The old ends, when
sweating, just didn't flow like new. The joints to the new piece was
just fine.

Is there a particular technique to super clean old work? Is there a
different repair technique altogether?

Replacing the whole line is cost prohibitive - mostly because of
collateral damage to open up walls. I would likely go "above" (attic)
to run the new lines.

Can anyone help with a repair technique?

Thanks.
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
oldby

"J" wrote in message
[...]

I'd replace it with plastic. CPVC or tube. Better get it all because if
its leaking in 1 place it will leak in another later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Try again using compression fittings for flared pipe ends rather than using
the ones with just ferrules. Probably need to buy a flaring tool too.

What size is the tube?

"J" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

J wrote:

[...]

It will just leak again in another spot even if you get a good
connection to the replacement piece. Consider full replacement with PEX
tubing since the flexibility of the PEX should let you fish it through
walls with a minimum of openings.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah PEX is the way to go and real easy to work with!

DO IT RIGHT DO IT ONCE! Then go relax!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

J wrote:

[...]

Hi,
If I were you, I'd just splice in a length of Pemex(won't corrode). This
may be easiest way. You may have to rent the crimping tool for half day
or so. Solder in two adaptor fittings at both ends fit the Pemex over
the fitting nipple, crimp. If you're soldering old pipe, clean well and
make sure there is no moisture.
Good luck,
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

When you use compression fittings, it's wise to oil the nut, ferrule,
and pipe before tightening. the oil (WD is ok, and 30 weight non
detergent is good, too) lets the fitting slip and slide into shape.
Sometimes a couple drops of oil makes all the difference, in getting a
good seal.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"J" wrote in message
[...]

The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Ownership 0 December 14th 05 07:02 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM