DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   basement leveling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/149215-basement-leveling.html)

william March 15th 06 03:00 PM

basement leveling

can I level my basement with leveling grout? Can I just fill in the
basement drain?

bluelagoon March 16th 06 03:57 AM

basement leveling

There is a product called self-levelling cement. It's quite liquid when
mixed properly and will spread-out like pancake batter and self-level
itself. Available at HomeDepot I think.

As far as the basement drain goes..It's intended to provide drainage
under the concrete floor to the gravel level underneath the concrete in
case your ho****er tank or other water devices burst a big water leak.
If you fill-it in with cement or grout and block it..you'll be sorry if
you flood your basement for whatever reason...your insurance adjuster
will see this in a heartbeat and deny an insurance claim on that basis.

No March 16th 06 11:21 PM

basement leveling

"william" wrote in message
oups.com...
can I level my basement with leveling grout? Can I just fill in the
basement drain?

Why do you think you need to level your basement?
- Carpet will go over an uneven surface just fine
- Tile will go over a somewhat eneven surface too, if done with care
- Wood floors on sleepers will go over an uneven or out of level floor
just fine
- a floating, laminate floor, will go over an un-level floor just fine
as long as its generally flat.

Why would you think you would want to fill in a basement drain?