DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Foundation Cracks? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/148683-foundation-cracks.html)

Toller March 12th 06 03:30 AM

Foundation Cracks?

I looked at a 40 year old house today. The block basement has numerous
cracks in the joints. They aren't big, but are certainly there.

The owner says the previous owner told him 2 years ago that they were there
when he bought it 6 years before that. So if no one is lying, they are at
least 8 years old. There is no hint of problems upstairs, but the house was
heavily remodeled by the current owner, so it is impossible to say much. No
sign that anyone tried to patch them.

How concerned should I be about this?
Any way to find out what they mean?
The house is build on shale; it ought to be stable.

[email protected] March 12th 06 06:02 AM

Foundation Cracks?

I wouldn't buy it, or at least not without a licensed engineer's
opinion first.

[email protected] March 12th 06 08:11 AM

Foundation Cracks?

wrote:
I wouldn't buy it, or at least not without a licensed engineer's
opinion first.

It's not unusual to see some cracks in the joints in cement block
foundations. The more important issue is how big they are and whether
they are stable. If they are very small, and have been that way for a
long time, like your 8 years, and there is no sign of movement, then I
wouldn't be worried. But I would still have the place inspected by a
good home inspector prior to purchase of course.

dnoyeB March 13th 06 03:55 PM

Foundation Cracks?

Toller wrote:
I looked at a 40 year old house today. The block basement has numerous
cracks in the joints. They aren't big, but are certainly there.

The owner says the previous owner told him 2 years ago that they were there
when he bought it 6 years before that. So if no one is lying, they are at
least 8 years old. There is no hint of problems upstairs, but the house was
heavily remodeled by the current owner, so it is impossible to say much. No
sign that anyone tried to patch them.

How concerned should I be about this?
Any way to find out what they mean?
The house is build on shale; it ought to be stable.

Of course you are using your own inspector aren't you? City inspectors
are waste of time.

It may be a concern it may not be. Inspector would be better
experienced to ask. No, its not automatically a sign of serious problem.

--
Thank you,