DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   concrete work (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/148638-concrete-work.html)

kim March 11th 06 09:23 PM

concrete work

I need help! What is the best way to pull up indoor-outdoor carpet
glued onto concrete slab? Then, what is the best way to remove the glue
from concrete slab? I need to do this before I can have overlay or acid
wash applied. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Joseph Meehan March 12th 06 12:49 AM

concrete work

kim wrote:
I need help! What is the best way to pull up indoor-outdoor carpet
glued onto concrete slab? Then, what is the best way to remove the
glue from concrete slab? I need to do this before I can have overlay
or acid wash applied. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Depends on the type of glue. Some may respond to being heated and some
may respond to being frozen (dry ice) so that it will chip off.

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Edwin Pawlowski March 12th 06 03:17 AM

concrete work

"kim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need help! What is the best way to pull up indoor-outdoor carpet
glued onto concrete slab? Then, what is the best way to remove the glue
from concrete slab? I need to do this before I can have overlay or acid
wash applied. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

You can use an ice scraper on a long handle to get most of it up. Some
places will come easy, others can be tough, depending on wear and traffic
patters over the years. Take a utility knife and score the carpet in spots
so you can easily pull a section at a time, maybe 2' wide. In any case,
there will be some adhesive residue that will be near impossible to get up.
It may react to a solvent though. I just scraped mine as best I could since
it was being covered with an engineered wood floor.

Doug March 12th 06 12:07 PM

concrete work

You're best bet is to go to a tool rental place and see if they have a
scraper that is used to remove vinyl flooring from a concrete floor.
They are electric and work very well. I recently used one and it did a
very good job but it's not an easy job. It will remove everything
right down to the concrete. Good luck.

Doug