DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rusty Sink Fixture (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/148630-rusty-sink-fixture.html)

Chub March 11th 06 07:06 PM

Rusty Sink Fixture

"ELL" wrote in message
About 5 yrs ago, I replaced my bathroom sink fixtures with a Moen brand.
Currently there is an unsightly rusty buildup around the sink drain/plug
hole.
What would cause this?

water and oxygen

Also, how do I get rid of it?

steel wool

Thanks.

don't mention it

Don Phillipson March 11th 06 07:15 PM

Rusty Sink Fixture

"ELL" wrote in message

About 5 yrs ago, I replaced my bathroom sink fixtures with a Moen brand.
Currently there is an unsightly rusty buildup around the sink drain/plug
hole. What would cause this?
Also, how do I get rid of it?

Most tap water contains dissolved minerals
(e.g. calcium and iron) that precipitate on
water fixtures e.g. faucets. CLR and other
chemicals can redissolve them

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

John Grabowski March 11th 06 10:14 PM

Rusty Sink Fixture

"ELL" wrote in message
About 5 yrs ago, I replaced my bathroom sink fixtures with a Moen brand.
Currently there is an unsightly rusty buildup around the sink drain/plug
hole.
What would cause this?
Also, how do I get rid of it?

Thanks.

If it is a steel sink, then it might be time to replace it before it rusts
all the way through.