Posted to alt.home.repair
mgarvie

Default Home phone wiring

I was getting ready to run some wires for the new bedrooms in my basement
and went outside to locate the Network Interface Device to see where to hook
up the phone lines. Wasn't there. Looked all over and only found a small
terminal in my basement that was made before I was born. I'm using Vonage
hooked up to my computer now but wanted to have the house wired for regular
phone service. What do I put between the phone company and my phone system?
I wouldn't just pigtail all the phone lines in my house together and then
tie it into the phone company?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Why are you getting rid of Vonage? I have Sprint for home service
right now and am switching to cable phone because Sprint's rates are
too high. Haven't gotten it yet, they will be here Monday between 8
and 12. Yeah right!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article uVeQf.811988$x96.651673@attbi_s72,
"mgarvie" wrote:

I wouldn't just pigtail all the phone lines in my house
together and then tie it into the phone company?

That is EXACTLY what you should do, whether at a an official NID (Network
Interface Device) or old protector. Since your service is provided over a
single, copper pair, all station wiring is "commoned" at some point.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
mgarvie

Still going keep the Vonage but figured I would have it wired so I could go
the the phone company if I needed to.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article .com,
" wrote:

Uf you dontr have a interface call your phone company
they will install it for FREE.

We will retrofit a service with a NID (Network Interface Device) on a
installation or service call for ANOTHER purpose. We will NOT make a special
trip to do it for free. Of course, this may vary by company.

It makes their troubleshooing for THEM easy!

Easy, eh?

The only aspect of repair that is made easier by an NID is whether or not the
trouble is INSIDE the home. It does little to expedite repair of a squirrel
bite-damaged drop two or three spans away, for example.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Still a upgraded NID wioth proper grounding is always a good idea, and
future troubleshooting will be easier with that interface, plus when
working on the lines you can unplug the interface saving a nasty shock
if you happen to be touching the wires when the phone rings.

all this assumes he has land based service currently, if not just
connect to existing block

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

mgarvie wrote:
I was getting ready to run some wires for the new bedrooms in my basement
and went outside to locate the Network Interface Device to see where to hook
up the phone lines. Wasn't there. Looked all over and only found a small
terminal in my basement that was made before I was born. I'm using Vonage
hooked up to my computer now but wanted to have the house wired for regular
phone service. What do I put between the phone company and my phone system?
I wouldn't just pigtail all the phone lines in my house together and then
tie it into the phone company?

I use vonage too. Its wired into the line in the basement. I hooked it
up to the main set of phone lines and it runs all the phones in the
house. Which are cordless so its not much of a load.

The box on the outside is installed by the phone company but I don't
know if they will install it if you are not ordering service. If you
order DSL they will install a good one

Just tie your vonage line into the central line in the basement and
disconnect that line from the one coming in from outside. easiest way
is to just backfeed it into any local phone outlet (once you disconnect
the outside feed)

I disconnected mine on the inside and in the box outside.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article .com,
"RayV" wrote:

Why are you getting rid of Vonage?

To my reading, he isn't. He is simply WIRING new jacks. That should be done
regardless of the carrier.

I have Sprint for home service right now and am switching to
cable phone because Sprint's rates are too high.

Are you switching to another POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) carrier or to
VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)? There is a BIG difference.

Vonage and Skype (for example) use VoIP.

CATV companies are now providing dialtone over their coaxial cables. The RT
(remote terminal) is mounted on the back of the house where the digital signal
is converted to analog for use by the phones (etc) inside. (Digital phone
service, my @$$. Show me a digital phone and I'll be impressed.)

Haven't gotten it yet, they will be here Monday
between 8 and 12. Yeah right!

Good luck. When the freebies and incentives are all used up, let us know how
much you are REALLY saving.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:10:50 GMT, "mgarvie"
wrote:

I wouldn't just pigtail all the phone lines in my house together and then
tie it into the phone company?

Why not?

The NID I am acquainted with has just two jacks, and the second is for
a second phone number.

I don't know how you could splice multiple wires on the same number
together at the NID when you could do it inside the house.

BTW, they did install a NID for free even if the person had no other
need for service, in Baltimore, 10 or 15 years ago. I don't remember
if that was before Verizon was in charge here or not. I expect they
did it when they had someone driiving by anyhow.

SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 02:45 PM
Home Depot Scorns Christian Groups Ben Siders Woodworking 63 August 26th 04 03:52 PM
Phone static at the box means... wheel Home Repair 10 February 29th 04 11:04 AM
Phone Wiring Question B Home Repair 14 July 30th 03 05:35 PM
phone wiring question... gothika Electronics Repair 2 July 18th 03 12:16 PM