Posted to alt.home.repair
TC

Default Can you mix primer/sealer and paint (exterior house paint)?

My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done professionally?
If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Primer is primer, paint is paint, and a hack is a hack. Talk to a real
pant store for products, Sherwin Williams is well known and may have a
one coat product. Any painter who says he will mix 2 products not
already offered to make a "Better" product should not be trusted. I
would not let him do the work unless I was there and knew he wasnt doing
other things wrong, you need to learn. Get to a real paint store and
find out what is offered and how to prep and paint correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jdk

m Ransley wrote:

Primer is primer, paint is paint, and a hack is a hack. Talk to a real
pant store for products, Sherwin Williams is well known and may have a
one coat product. Any painter who says he will mix 2 products not
already offered to make a "Better" product should not be trusted. I
would not let him do the work unless I was there and knew he wasnt doing
other things wrong, you need to learn. Get to a real paint store and
find out what is offered and how to prep and paint correctly.

good advice. if you need pro painters a real paint store usually will
have a list of good ones. i did this once and got a great painter and t
the price was not as bad as you would think.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

TC wrote:

My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done professionally?
If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).

Tell her to fire the jerk and hire a painter.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:56:38 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done professionally?
If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).

This is bad. Painting is all about preparation, and if you don't do
it right expect a poor job. The surface needs to be cleaned
(powerwash is good), possibly repaired/sanded, primed, then painted.
The primer provides the good adhesion that's needed to prevent
peeling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:56:38 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done professionally?
If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).

This is bad. Painting is all about preparation, and if you don't do
it right expect a poor job. The surface needs to be cleaned
(powerwash is good), possibly repaired/sanded, primed, then painted.
The primer provides the good adhesion that's needed to prevent
peeling.

Powercash ***CAN*** be good, if it's done from above so water isn't blown
behind the shingles. Even then, it can be a twitchy process. Best to issue
warning when you use the word "powerwash".

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
[...]

Did I type "powercash"??? :-) Jeez....powerWASH.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:56:38 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done professionally?
If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).

I think I met this guy. He goes to garage sales and second hand
stores and buys all the used paint he can find for under a buck a
gallon. Then he mixes it all together, indoor paint, exterior paint,
latex and oil base. Then he charges someone a huge price to paint
their house. He uses the same paint inside or out and the choice of
colors is pretty much limited to dirty gray and dirty brown.
Sometimes his paint jobs have texture, other times not. The texture
is from the oil paint mixed with the latex.

But rest assured, he will offer you at least a 10 year warrantee on
your paint job.

One year from now when the paint starts peeling off your house in
large sheets, you'll call him and his phone number will be
disconnected and his office vacated since he moved on to another town.

Tell your mom to cancel this contract now. If the company refuses and
wants to cause trouble, call your local building inspector and explain
the situation to them. Dont forget to check on this company with the
Better Business Bureau, and file a complaint with them too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
news
[...]

I think the same moron painted the apartment I lived in a couple of years
ago. Two weeks before I moved in, I stopped by to measure windows. He was
just starting to paint. He hadn't turned on the heat, so it was about 40
degrees in the place. I commented that the paint would never cure correctly.
He disagreed. Two weeks later, the glossy he used on the doors was still
sticky. Two months later, it was still sticky. Couldn't hang clothing from
coat hooks - it would stick to the doors. The apartment complex ended up
replacing the doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

Several issues:

1) There is a chance that you misunderstood what he was suggesting.
Not likely, but possible.

2) Cans of various paints and/or primers cannot be arbitrarily mixed
together without knowing the chemistry of the products. For example,
two leftover cans of white interior latex paint can't always be mixed
together. This is 99.99% safe if the paint product is from the same
manufacturer and the same product line, etc. But randomly mixing
paint products can produce a gallon or two of worthless crap.

Remember that there is a lot more to paint chemistry other than
"latex or non-latex." For example, so-called water based paints generally
have about 50% (?) organic solvents blended with the water. And all
paints have non-generic solvents blends, emulsifiers and binders. If
paints and/or primers are blended, there is often the very high risk that
the blend will perform poorly or not at all.

If you blend incompatible products and you are very lucky, then shortly
after the mix is stirred the pigments and binders will precipitate to the
bottom of the can in a rock hard mass with the solvents floating on top.
If you are less lucky, you won't discover that you've produced crappy
paint until some time after you've applied it.

3) Even if the chemistry is compatible for the paint and primer that this
painter is suggesting, there must be a reason why the manufacturer
didn't do this at the factory to save painters or homeowners time, effort
and money.

4) Many/most "professional painter" aren't. I haven't hired anybody for
painting in over 20 years just because there are so many hacks out
there. When my son was about 13, I realized that he was actually
a better painter than anybody that I had ever hired. (Thank you Boy
Scouts of America for teaching useful life skills!).

The good painters are expensive, but expensive painters aren't always
good. I learned that the hard way. And references don't mean crap.
The average homeowner doesn't know squat about a quality paint job
and isn't a reliable source of references. I've discovered that I am the
only homeowner on the block ambitious enough to climb on a ladder
to inspect second story prep, priming and painting. The only one to
walk a roof and inspect a roofing job before handing over a check. Etc.

Good luck,
Gideon

======

TC wrote in message ...
My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done professionally?
If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC

TC wrote in message ...
My mom is having her home painted. The guys who gave her the estimate
says he's going to mix the primer/sealer in with the paint and then
paint the house. This does not seem like a good idea. There's a reason
the primer/sealer goes on first. Or is this ok and done
professionally? If it's a bad idea what things can happen?

It's going over CBS (concrete blocks).

Thanks for the input! I spoke with my mom and she said she was going to
tell him to do it in two steps: primer/sealer and then paint. I told
her to just find someone new. If he's going to make a shortcut here,
he's likely going to do it in other places.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"TC" wrote in message

Thanks for the input! I spoke with my mom and she said she was going to
tell him to do it in two steps: primer/sealer and then paint. I told
her to just find someone new. If he's going to make a shortcut here,
he's likely going to do it in other places.

Is she at that obstinate age, when you're not sure whether they're
listening, or if they're just being a total pain in the ass (for sport),
like we did to them when we were teenagers? :-)

My mother in law had a major gas leak from rusted tubing in her 800 year old
stove. For a month, she insisted it wasn't a big deal - "It's been that way
for years. Don't worry about me - I've had a good life blah blah blah..." I
finally called the gas company to "inspect" it, figuring the guy they sent
might have a better approach for convincing her to come with me to the store
and get a new stove. He did. He said "Holy ****!", disconnected the stove,
and put a seal on the pipe until a new stove was installed. Then, she said
"Well, I don't use it much - I can warm things in the toaster oven".

No need to elaborate on this saga.

Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:59 PM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 10:17 PM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 03:41 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 05:51 AM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 10 July 26th 03 03:35 PM