Posted to alt.home.repair
despondent

Default Is this Consistent with BAd Dsihwasher Water Inlet Valve?

I'm having an issue with my 13-year-old Whirlpool washer that was
installed when the house was built. According to things I have read
concerning the problem, the water inlet valve may be the cause but I
wanted to bounce it off the group to see if this is the case.

The problem is that three times during the wash cycle, during what I
am pretty sure is the hot water intake, a loud noise that sounds like
pipe vibration occurs for two or three seconds and then goes away.
It's hard to pinpoint the exact location of the noise, other than it
sounds like it is coming from the floor, and it doesn't appear to be
coming directly from the washer unit itself.

Does this sound like what can happen when the water inlet valve is
failing?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

despondent wrote:

-snip-
Does this sound like what can happen when the water inlet valve is
failing?

Not so much to me-- but I'm no expert. I'd lean towards the grinder--
but maybe because that's what failed on mine last.

Check out this site to get a better diagnosis and a look at where the
parts are-
http://www.applianceclinic.com/0047_9.asp
[I have no association with them except as a satisfied customer. . .
several times over, unfortunately.g]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good link... actually it says

"Water-inlet valve

An aging water-inlet valve can sometimes fail slowly, rather than all
at once. It can shudder on and off rapidly, causing the incoming water
lines to shake, rumble, and rattle--sometimes violently. If yours is
doing this, replace the inlet valve. "

so it does sound like the inlet valve is probably the cause.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

despondent wrote:
I'm having an issue with my 13-year-old Whirlpool washer that was
installed when the house was built. According to things I have read
concerning the problem, the water inlet valve may be the cause but I
wanted to bounce it off the group to see if this is the case.

The problem is that three times during the wash cycle, during what I
am pretty sure is the hot water intake, a loud noise that sounds like
pipe vibration occurs for two or three seconds and then goes away.
It's hard to pinpoint the exact location of the noise, other than it
sounds like it is coming from the floor, and it doesn't appear to be
coming directly from the washer unit itself.

Does this sound like what can happen when the water inlet valve is
failing?

Thanks!

Could be. Did anything else change in the local ho****er line to the
dishwasher? Add any new water using appliances? Local water pressure
change?

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
despondent

Could be. Did anything else change in the local ho****er line to the
dishwasher? Add any new water using appliances? Local water pressure
change?

Thanks for the replies guys... no, no changes to the lines that I know
of... about six months ago I replaced the innards of a faucet in that
kitchen sink location, but the noise started a couple of weeks ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

despondent wrote:
Could be. Did anything else change in the local ho****er line to the
dishwasher? Add any new water using appliances? Local water pressure
change?

Thanks for the replies guys... no, no changes to the lines that I know
of... about six months ago I replaced the innards of a faucet in that
kitchen sink location, but the noise started a couple of weeks ago.

It sounds like a form of water hammer to me. It could be caused by a
shaky valve, or by a household pressure change for some reason.

--
Thank you,