Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Has anyone repaired cordless tool batteries

right bubba, Raise health care costs, jeese, and what will happen,
exactly nothing. Disposable, yes look at the price charged, where do you
think the high profit items are when a battery costs more than the tool.
Sealed, yes, so HR people have to have special tools or pay the ripoff
charged. Another example, did you ever stop to think for one moment why
a pennies worth of ink in a printer costs 40$, its called Profit, and
thats what batteries are, pure profit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

m Ransley wrote:

right bubba, Raise health care costs, jeese, and what will happen,
exactly nothing. Disposable, yes look at the price charged, where do you
think the high profit items are when a battery costs more than the tool.
Sealed, yes, so HR people have to have special tools or pay the ripoff
charged. Another example, did you ever stop to think for one moment why
a pennies worth of ink in a printer costs 40$, its called Profit, and
thats what batteries are, pure profit.

Yes, and it's hardly a new idea. When King Gilette brought out the
safety razor he gave them away so people would then buy the blades.

But I do change out the nicad batteries in our Dust Busters when they
"wear out". Those little vacs disassemble with threaded fasteners, and
it's a no brainer to solder in a few tabbed cells from Rat Shack.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:37:18 -0600,
(m Ransley)
wrote:

right bubba, Raise health care costs, jeese, and what will happen,
exactly nothing. Disposable, yes look at the price charged, where do you
think the high profit items are when a battery costs more than the tool.
Sealed, yes, so HR people have to have special tools or pay the ripoff
charged. Another example, did you ever stop to think for one moment why
a pennies worth of ink in a printer costs 40$, its called Profit, and
thats what batteries are, pure profit.

Yeah, and no one mentioned all the toxic chemicals that are dumped and
eventually work their way into our water wells, our air, and whereever
else. THAT is what really increases the cost of health care because
we are all being poisoned by all this trash.

There is no reason taht these batteries could not have screws and
batteries that are just installed in slots the same way the AA
batteries go in my remote control, and not require soldering.

The same is true for these ink cartridges for printers. I solved that
one. I gave my inkjet printer to a charity store, and I dug out my
old dot matrix printer and pay $10 every 2 years for a ribbon. I
simply refuse to pay for that ink.

You probably know this already, but you can purchase ink for reinking
those ribbons.

I used to do it that way for years, but now just refill my inkjet
cartridges as well as the laser rinter ones at our small business.

Takes but a few moments and saves lots of $$$ every year.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:08:38 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I know that, but from what I have heard, you can only do that 5
to 7 times and then you have to buy a new cartridge, which really
means buying a new printer because the cost of the cartridges are
often more than the cost of a printer that is on sale. I understand
this is particularly true with Lexmark.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

mm wrote in
:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:01:02 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

m Ransley wrote:

right bubba, Raise health care costs, jeese, and what will happen,
exactly nothing. Disposable, yes look at the price charged, where do
you think the high profit items are when a battery costs more than
the tool. Sealed, yes, so HR people have to have special tools or
pay the ripoff charged. Another example, did you ever stop to think
for one moment why a pennies worth of ink in a printer costs 40$,
its called Profit, and thats what batteries are, pure profit.

Yes, and it's hardly a new idea. When King Gilette brought out the
safety razor he gave them away so people would then buy the blades.

But I do change out the nicad batteries in our Dust Busters when they
"wear out". Those little vacs disassemble with threaded fasteners, and
it's a no brainer to solder in a few tabbed cells from Rat Shack.

Hmmmm. Didn't my mother 15 years ago have a Dust Buster with easily
replaceable rechargeable batteries? I think so.

There was a version that used two VersaPak "cartridges".
The others all used internal "hardwired" packs.

No they have to be
soldered... they're trying to get people to buy a whole new Buster??

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Some of those ink-jet cartridges have an integral print-head.
IIRC,Lexmark also includes a chip to prevent refilling the cartridge(which
I would not recommend;I did and it killed the printhead on my Canon BJC-
620,and the cheapo black ink faded to light brown quickly,too.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik