DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   what is a skim coat? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/147439-what-skim-coat.html)

Jeff March 4th 06 02:34 AM

what is a skim coat?

I bought a tub of DAP spackling compound to use to smooth out an area of my
wall in the kitchen where I pried off some tile. The instruction say "do
not use for a skim coat". Why is that? Is it ok to use the stuff to level
out my wall?

Thanks,

Jeff

Kyle Boatright March 4th 06 03:02 AM

what is a skim coat?

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
I bought a tub of DAP spackling compound to use to smooth out an area of my
wall in the kitchen where I pried off some tile. The instruction say "do
not use for a skim coat". Why is that? Is it ok to use the stuff to level
out my wall?

Thanks,

Jeff

A skim coat is a thin coat across a wide area. Sounds like exactly what you
were planning on doing with the spackling.

You may want to return the spackling compound and get a 1 gallon pail of
sheetrock mud.

KB

Red Neckerson March 4th 06 03:39 AM

what is a skim coat?

I bought my wife one for Christmas last year.

Them varnits are awfully small so it must have taken lot of 'em to make that
coat...