DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cold Loft Room (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/146891-cold-loft-room.html)

Griffo February 28th 06 09:56 PM

Cold Loft Room

We have a loft extension that was built before we bought the place. It
is freezing. There is no insulation on the interior of the external
walls (just plaster on brick). The loft has standard loft insulation -
the stuff you can buy in a roll - to a depth of approx 6 inches. We
need to add extra insulation and were planning to put thermal
insulation boards up on the walls. Is it worth adding extra insulation
to the roof space?

PipeDown February 28th 06 10:58 PM

Cold Loft Room

"Griffo" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a loft extension that was built before we bought the place. It
is freezing. There is no insulation on the interior of the external
walls (just plaster on brick). The loft has standard loft insulation -
the stuff you can buy in a roll - to a depth of approx 6 inches. We
need to add extra insulation and were planning to put thermal
insulation boards up on the walls. Is it worth adding extra insulation
to the roof space?

Probably; guessing 6" comes to R21 or so, if you live in a real cold area,
more will help. If you're in southern CA, don't bother.

Adding 2x4 studs to the surface of the wall and insulating using typical
fiberglass might be less than some kind of engineered insulating board (for
equivelent R rating). You need to run the numbers yourself.