Junior Member

Default blown cellulose for sound proofing

I'm going to be blowing cellulose in my attic today (renting the machine).

Additionaly, I would love to add some sound-proofing to the wall between the master bedroom and bathroom (standard 2x4 sheetrock wall). Does anyone know if blowing cellulose in the wall would help in cutting down the bathroom noise?

How would I do that? I'm guessing just make some holes at the top of the wall and put the hose in there?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

That's typically how it's done - drill holes at the top and use the
smaller nozzle to blow the cellulose into the wall. It'll probably
help deaden the noise, but bear in mind that it does settle over time
so you might notice the sound gradually getting louder again. Also,
interior walls may not be sealed as tightly as exterior walls so you're
going to get dust leaking into the two rooms from any holes like
fixtures, outlet boxes, switch boxes, under the baseboard molding, etc.
while you blow it in. Once you're done blowing it in, the dust should
settle down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

--
ashroyer

It will mitigate some of the sound (particularly high frequencies) but will
not be anything like sound proofing. Low thuds will get through just fine.
The density of typical insulation is insufficient to stop sound, it simply
contains too much air and moves around too easily. Anything dense enough to
stop sound will begin loosing insulation effectiveness. Closed cell foam
would work better for sound dampning but is impractical to install unless
the wall is open.

Packing insulation in the plumbing wall is not advised because if it gets
wet, it will get moldy (particularly cellulose).

Sound proofing usually requires several modifications to the wall structure
to be successful. Leaving that hole open at the top of the wall space will
actually reduce transmission of low frequeciues by allowing the air
compressed by one wall to escape rather than transmitting to the opposite
wall for example.

Don't waste your time insulating an interior wall unless it is easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Check out: http://www.soundproofing.org/

I suggest that you will get a lot more bang for your buck by adding a
additional layer of drywall.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"ashroyer" wrote in message

I'm going to be blowing cellulose in my attic today (renting the
machine).

Additionaly, I would love to add some sound-proofing to the wall
between the master bedroom and bathroom (standard 2x4 sheetrock wall).
Does anyone know if blowing cellulose in the wall would help in cutting
down the bathroom noise?

How would I do that? I'm guessing just make some holes at the top of
the wall and put the hose in there?

Andy

--
ashroyer

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Munro

Wall insulation quieted our house significantly when added to outside
walls. I'm sure it would add significant insulation between rooms, too.
Try it first, since it would probably be much easier than adding a
layer of drywall with its moulding problems, etc. --Phil

Check out: ...

"ashroyer" wrote in message

I'm going to be blowing cellulose in my attic today (renting the
machine).

Additionaly, I would love to add some sound-proofing to the wall
between the master bedroom and bathroom (standard 2x4 sheetrock
wall). Does anyone know if blowing cellulose in the wall would help
in cutting down the bathroom noise?

How would I do that? I'm guessing just make some holes at the top
of the wall and put the hose in there?

Andy

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555