Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

Default 8-foot fluorescent fixtures???

I'm looking for an 8-foot flush-mount decorative (as opposed to the
shop versions) fluorescent lighting fixture for our kitchen. I can
find plenty of 4-foot models in all kinds of different designs and
finishes, but am having no luck on the 96" versions.

Do they exist, and if so, might anyone be kind enough to point me in
the right direction - either on the web or otherwise?

Many thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair
byron

"BiloxiBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for an 8-foot flush-mount decorative (as opposed to the
shop versions) fluorescent lighting fixture for our kitchen. I can
find plenty of 4-foot models in all kinds of different designs and
finishes, but am having no luck on the 96" versions.

Do they exist, and if so, might anyone be kind enough to point me in
the right direction - either on the web or otherwise?

Many thanks...

The longest I see here in the "extra long" category is 59 inches.

http://www.pegasusassociates.com/T5ExtraLongLights.jsp

Is there any reason why you can't just use two 4' lights and daisy chain
them?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

byron wrote:

"BiloxiBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm looking for an 8-foot flush-mount decorative (as opposed to the
shop versions) fluorescent lighting fixture for our kitchen. I can
find plenty of 4-foot models in all kinds of different designs and
finishes, but am having no luck on the 96" versions.

Do they exist, and if so, might anyone be kind enough to point me in
the right direction - either on the web or otherwise?

Many thanks...

The longest I see here in the "extra long" category is 59 inches.

http://www.pegasusassociates.com/T5ExtraLongLights.jsp

Is there any reason why you can't just use two 4' lights and daisy chain
them?

8' used to be available as T12 (1 1/2" dia) instant start (single large
pin). Don't know about now. But the tubes are a real PITA to transport.

bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

BiloxiBoy wrote:
I'm looking for an 8-foot flush-mount decorative (as opposed to the
shop versions) fluorescent lighting fixture for our kitchen. I can
find plenty of 4-foot models in all kinds of different designs and
finishes, but am having no luck on the 96" versions.

Do they exist, and if so, might anyone be kind enough to point me in
the right direction - either on the web or otherwise?

Many thanks...

Check at the lighting store or an electrical supply house. The big box
stores are not likely to have much.

While the 8 footers have advantages, remember that they also may pose
some inconveniences like handling and changing lamps, finding the lamps you
want. For example in a kitchen you want a lamp that will give good color
quality to the food and finding those lamps in 8 foot lamps may be
difficult.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

F96T12 is the bulb in the commercial ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

While the 8 footers have advantages, remember that they also may pose
some inconveniences like handling and changing lamps, finding the lamps you
want. For example in a kitchen you want a lamp that will give good color
quality to the food and finding those lamps in 8 foot lamps may be
difficult.

I know you can get both "full-spectrum" and "warm white" in 8 footers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Goedjn" wrote in message

While the 8 footers have advantages, remember that they also may pose
some inconveniences like handling and changing lamps, finding the lamps
you
want. For example in a kitchen you want a lamp that will give good color
quality to the food and finding those lamps in 8 foot lamps may be
difficult.

I know you can get both "full-spectrum" and "warm white" in 8 footers.

Yes, but it may not always be easy to find them. Assuming you are
willing to look for them it should not be a reason not to get the 8 foot
lamps and it is my guess that they will become more common not less.

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

Yes, but it may not always be easy to find them. Assuming you are
willing to look for them it should not be a reason not to get the 8 foot
lamps and it is my guess that they will become more common not less.

Eight foot bulbs and fixtures were available 35 years ago. They have not
become more common. I happen to have 8' bulbs, the ends for them and
ballasts but not the complete fixture. Wish you lived close, I do not plan
to use them and need the space. Not interested in trying to ship the bulbs.

Walt Conner

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

WConner wrote:
Yes, but it may not always be easy to find them. Assuming you
are willing to look for them it should not be a reason not to get
the 8 foot lamps and it is my guess that they will become more
common not less.

Eight foot bulbs and fixtures were available 35 years ago. They have
not become more common. I happen to have 8' bulbs, the ends for them
and ballasts but not the complete fixture. Wish you lived close, I do
not plan to use them and need the space. Not interested in trying to
ship the bulbs.
Walt Conner

I was referring to the lamps not the fixtures. I doubt if the fixtures
will become more common as they are not practical for most home uses (I do
have them in my garage) and most people are just not going to consider
them, but as lamp technology is improving for the smaller lamps, that same
technology that is becoming more common for the smaller lamps should be come
more common for the large ones as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit