DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Do the seals on Low-E coated windows wear out quicker? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/145708-do-seals-low-e-coated-windows-wear-out-quicker.html)

jaynews February 21st 06 04:44 AM

Do the seals on Low-E coated windows wear out quicker?

I recently replaced a dual-pane panel with a dual-pane panel that has a
Low-E coating on surface #3 (which is the side facing outward on the
innermost pane). The window faces the south, and I notice that when the
sun shines through, it causes the inner pane to warm up VERY NOTICEABLY to
the touch in comparison to an adjacent non-Low-E coated window. In other
words, the inner panel feels warm to the touch in comparison to the inner
sufface the windw immediately next to it (which has a non-low-E panel).

So I'm wondering 2 things:

1) Will the added stress of this extra heat cause the panel's seal to wear
out quicker relative to non-Low-E panels?

and

2) If a Low E coating on surface number 3 is causing the inner pane itself
to noticeably heat up when sun shines through (relative to a non-low-e
window), does this mean the coating is actually working as it should, or
does this indicate that it's absorbing too much energy instead of reflecting
it?

Thanks,

J.

Joseph Meehan February 21st 06 12:31 PM

jaynews wrote:
[...]

I would say not. Now I would suggest that different makes of glass and
different weather conditions and different installations can cause
differences. I am happy to say that I have lived in my current home about
15 year and in my past home about the same time. My past home had non-low e
and the seals broke on two windows. My current home has low e and a better
line of windows and no broken seals. (other than the small on that was
broken by someone's BB gun.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit