DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plaster wall anchors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/145324-plaster-wall-anchors.html)

mo February 18th 06 02:47 PM

Plaster wall anchors

What is the best anchors for plaster walls?
I have tried alot of different anchors but plaster is brittle
when drilled into.
I have used a long screw to go into the lattes that is nailed
to the studs. Seems to work well with good hold.
I am not trying to hang anything heavy.
Those plastic anchors work for drywall not plaster.
Thanks

[email protected] February 18th 06 03:20 PM

Plaster wall anchors

Sounds like you have real plaster walls, the plastic anchors IMO are
sucky, using a screw works better, make sure to hit a lathe. Better
yet, a stud.

dnoyeB February 18th 06 03:59 PM

Plaster wall anchors

mo wrote:
What is the best anchors for plaster walls?
I have tried alot of different anchors but plaster is brittle
when drilled into.
I have used a long screw to go into the lattes that is nailed
to the studs. Seems to work well with good hold.
I am not trying to hang anything heavy.
Those plastic anchors work for drywall not plaster.
Thanks

I had plaster in my last house. Any anchor pretty much works well. Any
non-anchor (like nail hooks) sucks.

You might need a better drill bit or drill. Otherwise I didnt have any
problem with anchors.

--
Thank you,

Colbyt February 18th 06 04:24 PM

Plaster wall anchors

"mo" wrote in message
What is the best anchors for plaster walls?
I have tried alot of different anchors but plaster is brittle
when drilled into.
I have used a long screw to go into the lattes that is nailed
to the studs. Seems to work well with good hold.
I am not trying to hang anything heavy.
Those plastic anchors work for drywall not plaster.
Thanks

Hitting the lathe with a screw that is at least 1.25" into the wall is
always a good choice. When you can't do that the absolute best if you need
to hang something heavy is to use a 1/8 x 3" toggle bolt and a molly hanger
( a small hook made for use with screws). The small fluted plastic anchors
work fairly well for light duty applications. The big fat screw in type
anchor whether plastic or metal do not work at all with plaster.

Happy hanging.

[email protected] February 18th 06 06:08 PM

Plaster wall anchors

Toggle bolt, expanding bolt is 100% the best choice

Joseph Meehan February 18th 06 06:13 PM

Plaster wall anchors

mo wrote:
What is the best anchors for plaster walls?
I have tried alot of different anchors but plaster is brittle
when drilled into.
I have used a long screw to go into the lattes that is nailed
to the studs. Seems to work well with good hold.
I am not trying to hang anything heavy.
Those plastic anchors work for drywall not plaster.
Thanks

I suggest the toggle type anchors that change shape after they are
installed. There are both plastic and metal types. The metal ones tend to
have long screws and have a part the swivels out once it is through the hole
and the plastic ones tend to have a part the bends as the screw is tightened
causing parts of the plastic to fold out. I am not talking about the type
that just expand wider as the screw is put in.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Tom G. February 19th 06 07:59 AM

Plaster wall anchors

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"mo" wrote in message
[...]

I've had good luck with the "big fat screw in type anchor" when I pre drill
a hole that makes it necessary only for the actual "threads" of the anchor
to cut into the plaster.

Tom G.

Colbyt February 20th 06 02:10 AM

Plaster wall anchors

"Tom G." wrote in message
I've had good luck with the "big fat screw in type anchor" when I pre

drill
a hole that makes it necessary only for the actual "threads" of the anchor
to cut into the plaster.

Tom G.

I am happy for you.

I have repaired a lot of installations installed with this type of anchor.
For insurance and liability reasons I can't justify using it except extreme
light duty applications for it's designed purpose in drywall.

Colbyt

dnoyeB February 20th 06 01:52 PM

Plaster wall anchors

"mo" wrote in message

[...]

Work fine for me as well. And we hung some ~40lb pictures. Just don't
use nails. We didnt drill into the stud either. But if you got a stud
might as well use it.

--
Thank you,

Maly September 16th 14 12:44 AM

Plaster wall anchors

replying to roger61611, Maly wrote:
roger61611 wrote:

Sounds like you have real plaster walls, the plastic anchors IMO are
sucky, using a screw works better, make sure to hit a lathe. Better
yet, a stud.

I can't find the studs, and the ones I did find aren't anywhere near the
area I need to hang my little caninet?

[email protected] September 16th 14 03:03 AM

Plaster wall anchors

On Saturday, February 18, 2006 8:47:21 AM UTC-6, mo wrote:
What is the best anchors for plaster walls? I have tried alot of different anchors but plaster is brittle when drilled into. I have used a long screw to go into the lattes that is nailed to the studs. Seems to work well with good hold. I am not trying to hang anything heavy. Those plastic anchors work for drywall not plaster.Thanks

Use toggle bolts that have a folding wing that pops out after you are completely through the wall material. But, you can't remove the screw once it is in, or the toggle portion will fall off and down into the wall cavity, so you must have your bracket attached to the toggle bolts before you put them in place.