Posted to alt.home.repair
brobinson48

Default 5 amp fuse in Carrier heat pump blows

I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from the
board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the reinstalling. Now
the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows as soon as I apply
power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really do not know which
wires should ring to each other or if none should ring together at all.
Any one have any advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 15 Feb 2006 19:43:11 -0800, "brobinson48"
wrote:

I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from the
board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the reinstalling. Now
the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows as soon as I apply
power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really do not know which
wires should ring to each other or if none should ring together at all.

Ring?

Any one have any advice?

Maybe you should put in a 10 amp fuse?**

Seriously, what size fuse did it come with?

How did you determine 10 was too much?

When the board failed, did the 10 blow at all?

**Or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

brobinson48 wrote:
I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from
the board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the
reinstalling. Now the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows
as soon as I apply power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really
do not know which wires should ring to each other or if none should
ring together at all. Any one have any advice?

What was the specified fuse size? If it was 5 amps and now it is
blowing 5 amp fuses, then there is something wrong down stream from the
fuses. Hard to tell from here what that might be. What all runs off that
fuse? Does it include some sort of motor. Maybe that motor is drawing more
current than it should.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

What was the specified fuse size? If it was 5 amps and now it is
blowing 5 amp fuses, then there is something wrong down stream from the

fuses. Hard to tell from here what that might be. What all runs off
that
fuse? Does it include some sort of motor. Maybe that motor is drawing
more
current than it should.

The 5 amp fuse should be 3 or 5 amp, depending om model. It is an
automotive type fuse and protects the low voltage circuit, including
the transformer. If the fuse blows you have a short in the low voltage
circuit. The other possibility is if the contactor has rust or dirt on
the armature. That will cause the contactor coil to draw high amps
just like a motor that is just starting. If the reversing valve coil
fell off the reversing valve, it would do the same thing. The stuff on
the contactor armature (pole pieces) is called swarf.

Stretxh

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

brobinson48 wrote:
I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from the
board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the reinstalling. Now
the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows as soon as I apply
power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really do not know which
wires should ring to each other or if none should ring together at all.
Any one have any advice?

Fuses don't protect electronics, they protect wiring. Your electronics
will fry long before a fuse blows. The fuse may also be used to protect
traces on a circuit board. Either way, the fuse size is not the *cause*
of anything.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
hvactech2

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:48:41 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

brobinson48 wrote:
I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from
the board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the
reinstalling. Now the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows
as soon as I apply power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really
do not know which wires should ring to each other or if none should
ring together at all. Any one have any advice?

What was the specified fuse size? If it was 5 amps and now it is
blowing 5 amp fuses, then there is something wrong down stream from the
fuses. Hard to tell from here what that might be. What all runs off that
fuse? Does it include some sort of motor. Maybe that motor is drawing more
current than it should.

Mr. Meehan
No there is not a motor. But I see you are delving into areas you know
nothing about again. what he needs to do is call a pro to check it as
there is quite a bit of control circuitry there. Please don't start
throwing out you misinformation again.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

wrote:

brobinson48 wrote:
I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from
the board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the
reinstalling. Now the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows
as soon as I apply power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really
do not know which wires should ring to each other or if none should
ring together at all. Any one have any advice?

I want to know what the outcome is on this once the OP gets it repaired, but
I'll bet if you take the wires off the terminal block and test each one
individually with an ohm meter, the white wire going to the outdoor unit
will show continuity to ground......

Posted to alt.home.repair
brobinson48

wrote:

brobinson48 wrote:
I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from
the board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the
reinstalling. Now the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows
as soon as I apply power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really
do not know which wires should ring to each other or if none should
ring together at all. Any one have any advice?

I want to know what the outcome is on this once the OP gets it repaired, but
I'll bet if you take the wires off the terminal block and test each one
individually with an ohm meter, the white wire going to the outdoor unit
will show continuity to ground......

Thanks for all the advice. But the winner this round is Dr. Hardcrab.
The white wire was ring to ground. Checked the outside unit and the
insulation was just rub off enought to short it. Thanks Again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

hvactech2 wrote:

Mr. Meehan
No there is not a motor. But I see you are delving into areas you know
nothing about again. what he needs to do is call a pro to check it as
there is quite a bit of control circuitry there. Please don't start
throwing out you misinformation again.

Thank you for your advice. I assure you I will give it all the
attention it deserves.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

brobinson48 wrote:
I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from the
board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the reinstalling. Now
the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows as soon as I apply
power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really do not know which
wires should ring to each other or if none should ring together at all.
Any one have any advice?

Hi,
I suspect your orignal problem was not in the logic board.
Wrong fuse cooked it and the problem remains. If you keep trying
without finding out, you may blow replacement board too or it is
already cooked(or partially) as well.
Usually when you replace borad like this you move over wires one by one
between two boards. You really needs a schematics for trouble-shooting.
And must have a DVM or good analog multi-meter.(careful with this around
IC chips)
Good luck,
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Over sizing the fuse allows the board to below instead of the fuse. What a
shame.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
brobinson48 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Not sure what you mean "ring the wires". What are you doing?

Since the board blows fuses, aparently something is short circuit, some
where. with some knowledge of wiring, you ought to be able to isolate some
wires, and test for shorting.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"brobinson48" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had to replace my circuit board due to it being fried. I determined
the reason it got fried was due to it having a 10 amp fuse installed
instead of a 5 amp. I labeled all the wires as I removed them from the
board just to make sure not to get the crossed in the reinstalling. Now
the 5amp fuse on the ICB in the air handler blows as soon as I apply
power. I have tried to ring the wires but I really do not know which
wires should ring to each other or if none should ring together at all.
Any one have any advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Over sizing the fuse allows the board to below instead of the fuse. What a
shame.

Below?

;-]

(I know what you mean)

I went on a call one time because the customer's heat pump stopped working
and he smelled smoke. When I got there, the board was fried. He swore he
didn't touch it, but laying on the floor beside the air handler was two
empty cases od car fuses. You know. The "multi-packs" that have a 3, 5, 10,
15, and a 35 amp fuse in them? Well, I guess he ran out of the 5 amp ones
and tried all the others. The one still in the board didn't have a rating
and I was not sure of the brand, but the common name for the "fuse" is a
paper clip.

"I never touched it"

Yeah, right......

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Voluteer fuse brigade must have come for the guy's aid.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

[...]

Grandpa wore his suit to dinner
Nearly every day
No particular reason
He just dressed that way
Brown necktie and a matching vest
And both his wingtip shoes
He built a closet on our back porch
And put a penny in a burned out fuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I'ze be hanging in de sittee to much, massah crabbie! Yassah, dat boad, she
below ou reel guud!

Thanks for a smile. Yep, like the one I heard some years ago. Five amp fuse
lasted about a week, so he put in a thirty and figured he had six weeks use
out of it.

Mighta been a Turtle tale, one of his customers. Can't remember.

Good catch on the spelling. I'll have to get Smell Czech

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.