DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   medicine cabinets (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/144659-medicine-cabinets.html)

SeaKan February 13th 06 08:32 PM

medicine cabinets

i'm thinking about changing my medicine cabinet. can i get an accurate
measure w/out taking out the existing one? are they standard size?

PipeDown February 13th 06 09:11 PM

medicine cabinets

There are several standard sizes and a whole range of oddballs.

You will have to remove it to measure because you don't know if your present
one is fitted tight against the studs or if there is a little more room.
You can probably get a fairly accurate estimate of the rough opening by
measuring the inside of the cabnet.

I have seen some nice wall cabnets with mirrored doors you could just put
over the hole if you wanted an alternative look.

Joey February 13th 06 10:38 PM

medicine cabinets

You also want to make sure the depth is correct. Yes, there were houses
once that used 2 x 3's and the medicine cabinet for those will stick out
an inch for those meant for 2 x 4's. So, I too agree, you must remove
the one you have and take accurate measurements.

Mikepier February 14th 06 02:12 AM

medicine cabinets

I just replaced 2 medicine cabinets in my house. I had to modify the
rough openings slightly. You might get lucky and not have to do any
changes at all, but like the other poster said, you could buy a surface
mount one and cover the hole.

I used the Home Depot brand, Keystone medicine cabinets:

http://www.keystonebath.com/