Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair

Default Run out of Hot water quickly: Hot water tank defective?

I have my hot water tank set to medium. I have not change the
setting, but it seams we are getting less and less hot water every day.
We are to the point where I don't have enough to fill my tub for a
hot bath. I think the tank is about 8 years old give or take a year.
Any idea?

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Tom

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have my hot water tank set to medium. I have not change the
setting, but it seams we are getting less and less hot water every day.
We are to the point where I don't have enough to fill my tub for a
hot bath. I think the tank is about 8 years old give or take a year.
Any idea?

When I had that problem, it turned out that a hot water line had ruptured
under the slab and the water heater finally couldn't keep up with the water
lost.

Tom G.

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Brian V

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have my hot water tank set to medium. I have not change the
setting, but it seams we are getting less and less hot water every day.
We are to the point where I don't have enough to fill my tub for a
hot bath. I think the tank is about 8 years old give or take a year.
Any idea?

Could be as simple as a 4$ dip tube. Pull off the cold water feed and remove
the tube and check it, should be about 3/4 the length of the tank.

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have my hot water tank set to medium. I have not change the
setting, but it seams we are getting less and less hot water every day.
We are to the point where I don't have enough to fill my tub for a
hot bath. I think the tank is about 8 years old give or take a year.
Any idea?

Gas, oil, solar, or electric?

If it is solar, could just be cloudy days. If it is electric, one of the
elements may be burned out.

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Mike Grooms

Edwin,

If it is solar, could just be cloudy days. If it is electric, one of the
elements may be burned out.

Yeah, I was going to say that about the solar heater. We from the
plumbing newsgroup run into that question all the time. Matter of fact,
the local supply house is running a two for one solar water heater sale.
You'd be surprized how many plumbers haven't been certified in Solar
Water Heater repair. It's scandalous.

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Red Jacket

Sediment, drain and refill don't listen to those who say no.
Turn up the stat on the HWT that's why its there.
If iron pipe you need to go to L copper.

OTOH;
8 years is a very good run, get a new one before this one
goes.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have my hot water tank set to medium. I have not change the
setting, but it seams we are getting less and less hot water every day.
We are to the point where I don't have enough to fill my tub for a
hot bath. I think the tank is about 8 years old give or take a year.
Any idea?

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Mark

dip tube

had that happen to me.,

the system normally draws hot water out from the top of the top and
the cold water is supposed to enter at the bottom of the tank via the
dip tube...

if the dip tube fails, the cold water enters at the top and quickly
cools off the hot water that is drawn out....

Mark

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair

it is gas. tx

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair

Messing with anything may cause a leak in a 8 year old tank.

I would turn up the TEMP, and if that doesnt do it replace the tank.

The thermostat probably has sediment on it and isnt responding as it
should....

Look in the burner area! See all that rust? Its acting as a insulator,
increasing your energy cost

time to shop for new tank so you know whats available

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Ned Flanders

it is very common for gas water heater to have sediment build up on bottom
cause this problem.
You need to purge the tank and see if it goes away.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Messing with anything may cause a leak in a 8 year old tank.

I would turn up the TEMP, and if that doesnt do it replace the tank.

The thermostat probably has sediment on it and isnt responding as it
should....

Look in the burner area! See all that rust? Its acting as a insulator,
increasing your energy cost

time to shop for new tank so you know whats available

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair

Around here the water is so hard draining the tank accomplishes
nothing. but perhaps get the drain valve to leak

Posted to alt.home.repair
Johnny Virgil

If it's electric, sometimes the top heater element will be good and the
bottom one bad. So all the hot water is in the top 1/4 of the tank, and when
you take a shower or do wash, that comes off the top quickly, then you get
the cold.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Around here the water is so hard draining the tank accomplishes
nothing. but perhaps get the drain valve to leak

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
buffalobill

dip tube, just replaced one next door.
see:
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...hot-water.html

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Red Jacket

Then take cold baths and learn to like it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Around here the water is so hard draining the tank accomplishes
nothing. but perhaps get the drain valve to leak

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Ned Flanders

same here, i always carry brass caps for boiler drains.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Around here the water is so hard draining the tank accomplishes
nothing. but perhaps get the drain valve to leak

Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Red Jacket

CLR works great, use a flux brush.

"Ned Flanders" wrote in message
same here, i always carry brass caps for boiler drains.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Around here the water is so hard draining the tank accomplishes
nothing. but perhaps get the drain valve to leak

AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 11 January 25th 18 09:44 PM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 26th 05 12:34 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 08:28 PM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 04:01 AM