Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott O

Default strange smell in kitchen / main area

I have an L-style ranch, with the kitchen/dining/living room area that has
an open floor plan. For the last few days, as soon as you walk in from
outside (opens into this open area), there is a fairly strong smell. It
smells like it could be cleaner of some sort, or nail polish, oil, etc. We
have our oil furnace/burner in the kitchen (that's how they did it up her in
MA in the 50's I guess), so we had the oil service guys come out last night
to make sure it wasn't an exhaust problem. They didn't see a problem with
the exhaust or anything with the oil burner. He smelled it too, but
couldn't put his finger on what it was.

We have checked for any cleaners that may have spilled or even to try and
locate the origin of the smell without any luck. Problem is, once you are
in the house for a bit, you must get adjusted to the smell, because it is
harder to notice.

The only thing new for appliances that we have, are we just got about two
weeks ago a new entertainment center and tv, doesn't smell stronger over
there or anything that we notice.

I also ran the garbage disposal for a while to make sure anything that
possibly was left in there was flushed out.

Any ideas on how you normally go about finding this or who to call, etc.?

Thanks,

Scott