Old February 1st 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair
paaji

Default Furnace pilot light keeps going off

Since yesterday Pilot light in furnace was out so i went out bought
thermocouple and replaced it. I wasn't able to light up pilot light
after so many tries I held i down for 15 minutes. Finally it woked and
remains lit. But when I turn on the thermostat(manual) not automatic it
remains on then goes off. Also other thing i noticed it if put the
thermostat to max pilot goes out right away. Could it be Thermostat or
something else? Thanks

Old February 1st 06, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair
paaji

by the way this gas furnace

Old February 1st 06, 05:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

I had trouble lighting my heater pilot light after I replaced some gas
piping and got air in the pipes.

For some time the pilot light wouldn't light then wouldn't stay lit but
it came good after passing some gas (through the pipes I mean).

If there's air in the pipes, the problem may go away by itself.

Old February 1st 06, 09:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

On 31 Jan 2006 19:54:48 -0800, "paaji" wrote:

Since yesterday Pilot light in furnace was out so i went out bought
thermocouple and replaced it. I wasn't able to light up pilot light
after so many tries I held i down for 15 minutes. Finally it woked and
remains lit. But when I turn on the thermostat(manual) not automatic it
remains on then goes off. Also other thing i noticed it if put the
thermostat to max pilot goes out right away. Could it be Thermostat or
something else? Thanks

You might have a partially clogged main gas valve.
I've seen this quite a few times. Most such valves have an input
screen to filter the impurities out of the gas. It clogs with time due
to sediment and the output gas pressure drops due to the restricted
flow.

To me, the hint is your statement "when I put the thermostat to max
the pilot goes out right away". Thus there seems to be a pressure drop
when the main gas valve opens.

In an emergency when it's been zero degrees at 2:00 AM, I've opened
and cleaned out gas control valves. However, it's not something that I
recommend and suggest you get a replacement or better yet, hire a
repairman.

Also, makes sure that the pilot oriface is not partially clogged.
The pilot flame should be mainly blue with the tip of the thermocouple
immersed about 1/3 of the way into the flame.

Doug

Old February 1st 06, 11:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Sounds like the main burner flame is blowing out the pilot. Call someone who
really knows what he's doing, and isn't just a parts changer, before you
hurt yourself or your family.

oups.com...

Old February 1st 06, 11:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

Evaporator coil is shot...you need a completely new system.

Old February 2nd 06, 06:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair
paaji

Thanks for replies
I replaced thermocouple and thermostat. But when I turn on the heat
after lighting the pilot it starts ok But 2 minutes later every thing
it shuts off. Pilot goes out as well. When it goes out i hear little
click in furnace don't if that is fuse or something else. Going to call
technician will see but don't know where the problem is thanks

Old February 2nd 06, 07:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

On 1 Feb 2006 22:17:07 -0800, "paaji" wrote:

Thanks for replies
I replaced thermocouple and thermostat. But when I turn on the heat
after lighting the pilot it starts ok But 2 minutes later every thing
it shuts off. Pilot goes out as well. When it goes out i hear little
click in furnace don't if that is fuse or something else. Going to call
technician will see but don't know where the problem is thanks

Please let us know what the problem was...

Doug

Old February 2nd 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

I had an oven in a slummy apartment some years ago that would do that.
Took about a dozen requests to the manager to have them attend to it.
They brought me a different stove from another empty apartment. It
only had 3 working burners on the top. Later on it developed a gas
leak, and after a dozen requests (and lots of microwave dinners) They
swapped it out with a stove from an empty apartment.

Which ended up being the one I started with.

:-D