Posted to alt.home.repair
jsework

Default Removing 1990 Kenmore over the range microwave

The previous owner of my house installed a 1990 Kenmore over the range
microwave (model 721.8965580). Based on the model code I know that
Goldstar manufactured it.

I don't have the installation instructions but based upon web searches
and my own investigation I know it is definitely attached to a wall
mounted bracket. I am trying to remove the oven and bracket in order
to install a new microwave. There are only two bolts providing support
through the upper cabinets. I have removed those and folded the lower
tabs down on the wall bracket. Even after doing all this I can't get
the oven to break loose from the wall bracket.

In the meantime I replaced the bolts.

The oven was installed as non-vented, ductless.

Has anyone removed a similar microwave? Are there upper bracket tabs or
something else still holding onto the oven? Does anyone have other
ideas?

Thanks for any help,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

"jsework" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've sold these things at Sears and have removed/installed several. You
have the right idea as to how it's installed but I don't understand why you
would have bent the tabs down. All you should have had to do was remove the
two bolts from above and then pry down on the front upper edge between the
cabinet and the microwave. Actually you should have had to hold the
microwave to keep it from falling down. The microwave would then have
tilted forward so you could lift it off the tabs on the wall mounting
bracket. I checked the installation diagram at Sears.com found in "parts"
and it shows only the two bolts from above holding the m/w and all other
bolts only through the bracket. Is it possible the prior owner thought this
insufficient and re-engineered the mounting method? Perhaps they added some
construction glue between the m/w and the upper cabinet or between the wall
and the back of the m/w.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"jsework" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Like the other guy said. Remove the bolts from the top and use a thin sharp
pry instrument and some extra hands. circa 1990 sounds like dried grit from
cooking. A razor knife between the cabinet and the microwave should be
enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

First of all this is a TWO PERSON job. The microwave is
heavy.

Mine has a release rod located behind the exhaust grill
which is across the top of the unit. Remove the screws
holding the grill and remove the grill. You will see a
handle or hook that operated a latch at the wall mount
plate. Remove the bolts that secure the microwave to the
upper cabinet. Support the weight of the microwave and have
someone pull the handle or hook. The front of the microwave
can then be lowered. You can then lift it off the hooks on
the mounting bracket.

Hope this helps. BE CAREFUL

Frank

"jsework" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

"jsework" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The two I had experience with (a Litton and a GE) both were mounted in their
own metal cabinets which included the smoke hood blower. The cabinet was
first mounted on the wall and then the main unit was inserted into the
cabinet through its open front. Removal was the reverse. Pull the unit
from the cabinet after releasing some cleverly concealed latches or screws
and then dismount the cabinet. There may be fasteners into the wall behind
the cabinet in addition to the hanger bolts into the cabinets above. I
don't remember.

The installation instructions for a new unit will probably give some useful
clues as they all seem to be generally similar in concept.

I did this solo but it's nice to have help when you're removing or
installing the main unit. That's where most of the weight is.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
jsework

Thanks for everyone's input on my problem. I managed to remove the
microwave. After removing its grill I saw long screws leading to the
wall. Once I loosened those the oven came loose from the wall bracket.
Hopefully my post will someday help someone else with the same
microwave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jsework, nbeanz wrote:
jsework wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input on my problem. I managed to remove the
microwave. After removing its grill I saw long screws leading to the
wall. Once I loosened those the oven came loose from the wall bracket.
Hopefully my post will someday help someone else with the same
microwave.

[::Yes, Bless you! After struggling for two hours - I sat and read post
after post of suggestions online. Yours helped us too! The long screws
didn't actually resemble your typical screws we are used to. They were
almost 10 inches long and I had to bend a part down from them first before
I unscrewed.

Cannot believe it is finally out! We were starting to think the
contractor who built the house glued it in.

Thanks so Much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

jsework wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input on my problem. I managed to remove the
microwave. After removing its grill I saw long screws leading to the
wall. Once I loosened those the oven came loose from the wall bracket.
Hopefully my post will someday help someone else with the same
microwave.

[::Yes, Bless you! After struggling for two hours - I sat and read post
after post of suggestions online. Yours helped us too! The long screws
didn't actually resemble your typical screws we are used to. They were
almost 10 inches long and I had to bend a part down from them first before
I unscrewed.

Cannot believe it is finally out! We were starting to think the
contractor who built the house glued it in.

He might have. Sometimes they glue the tiles to the wall or the floor.

Thanks so Much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to nbeanz, JG wrote:
nbeanz wrote:

[::Yes, Bless you! After struggling for two hours - I sat and read post

after
post of suggestions online. Yours helped us too! The long screws didn't
actually resemble your typical screws we are used to. They were almost 10
inches long and I had to bend a part down from them first before I

unscrewed.
Cannot believe it is finally out! We were starting to think the contractor

who
built the house glued it in.
Thanks so Much!

Hello! We are trying to remove a similar microwave, with the two long
"screws/rods". We cannot turn the rods no matter what we've tried -
screwdriver, pliers, WD-40 - they simply won't budge! I'm able to jiggle
them, but cannot turn them. Any ideas? Any advice would be GREATLY
appreciated!! Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Frank K., Brenda wrote:
THANK YOU! We must have had the same model. After pulling that handle pretty
hard forward, the microwave released easily.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ave-85400-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 3:44:06 PM UTC-5, Brenda wrote:
replying to Frank K., Brenda wrote:
THANK YOU! We must have had the same model. After pulling that handle pretty
hard forward, the microwave released easily.
--

You're too late thanking Frank. 11 years ago, Frank was abducted by giant mutant gerbils from outer space. The Air Force was unable to intercept the flying saucer and it's feared that the giant space gerbils used Frank as a sex slave before they ate him. It was a tragic loss for the family and friends of Frank. He has been missed. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Frank K., Dana W wrote:
Thanks Frank. 13 years later, your advice was priceless.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ave-85400-.htm