Posted to alt.home.repair
Gntry

Default Dripping hot water tank

I have a Quickflo Service Saver 40 gal hot water tank w/ a production date
of 1995...everytime the tank heats water(like after a shower or running
water for dishes) it leaks/drips like crazy. I empty a regular sized pail
daily. The water is coming from the overflow pipe. This isn't normal, right?
Is this a sign my heaters on its way out?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Gntry wrote:
I have a Quickflo Service Saver 40 gal hot water tank w/ a production date
of 1995...everytime the tank heats water(like after a shower or running
water for dishes) it leaks/drips like crazy. I empty a regular sized pail
daily. The water is coming from the overflow pipe. This isn't normal, right?
Is this a sign my heaters on its way out?

This is not the fault of the heater. You need a thermal expansion tank
like:
http://www.flexconind.com/html/whwhv.html

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"This is not the fault of the heater. You need a thermal expansion
tank
like: "

If it hasn't leaked for 10 years, but is only starting now, it's
unlikely he needs an expansion tank. Only a small percentage of units
have an expansion tank and work fine without it. It's far more likely
the relief valve has just gone bad. They are simple and easy to
replace, I'd start there. He should also be aware that at 11 years, if
this is a gas fired unit, it's entering the zone where end of life can
be expected. Depending on the location and what happens if it should
start leaking from the tank, I'd consider replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I agree that he probably doesn't need an expansion tank, but if the relief
valve is only going off some of the time, then it's probably working
correctly and doing it's job. He probably has sediment or mineral deposits
in the bottom of the tank. When the water is heated, it boils right away,
and the relief goes off. Happens all the time in my area.

wrote in message
ups.com...
"This is not the fault of the heater. You need a thermal expansion
tank
like: "

If it hasn't leaked for 10 years, but is only starting now, it's
unlikely he needs an expansion tank. Only a small percentage of units
have an expansion tank and work fine without it. It's far more likely
the relief valve has just gone bad. They are simple and easy to
replace, I'd start there. He should also be aware that at 11 years, if
this is a gas fired unit, it's entering the zone where end of life can
be expected. Depending on the location and what happens if it should
start leaking from the tank, I'd consider replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

If this is a gas or electric water heater, and the relief valve is only
going off some of the time, and not all the time, then you probably have
sediment or mineral deposits in the bottom of the tank. Heating the water
that surrounds those deposits can make the water boil and the relief go off.
Sometimes you can drain the tank, but if you can't, it may be time for a new
water heater.

"Gntry" wrote in message
I have a Quickflo Service Saver 40 gal hot water tank w/ a production
date
of 1995...everytime the tank heats water(like after a shower or running
water for dishes) it leaks/drips like crazy. I empty a regular sized

pail
daily. The water is coming from the overflow pipe. This isn't normal,

right?
Is this a sign my heaters on its way out?

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Gntry wrote:
I have a Quickflo Service Saver 40 gal hot water tank w/ a production date
of 1995...everytime the tank heats water(like after a shower or running
water for dishes) it leaks/drips like crazy. I empty a regular sized pail
daily. The water is coming from the overflow pipe. This isn't normal, right?
Is this a sign my heaters on its way out?

I don't know that tank, but I also don't know what
an overflow pipe is. Maybe you mean the pipe
connected to the pressure/temperature valve. If
so, the problem is that the valve is leaking. Not
terribly uncommon. Replace it.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Home water tank water tank pressure not right, do I need a new tank? Gary Slusser Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 04:45 AM