DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wiring exhaust fan (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/141801-wiring-exhaust-fan.html)

[email protected] January 24th 06 05:54 PM

wiring exhaust fan

At present I have two lights in the bathroom. I would like to replace
one of the lights with an exhaust fan. One switch turns on both
lights, I would like to have a seperate switch for the exhaust fan. Do
I need to run wire from the exaust fan to the double switch and if so
how do I make the connection at the switch?

Thanx

SQLit January 24th 06 06:17 PM

wiring exhaust fan

wrote in message
ups.com...
At present I have two lights in the bathroom. I would like to replace
one of the lights with an exhaust fan. One switch turns on both
lights, I would like to have a seperate switch for the exhaust fan. Do
I need to run wire from the exaust fan to the double switch and if so
how do I make the connection at the switch?

Thanx

Yes you need another wire.

Connect the new switch to the hot and the switch leg to the other side of
the new switch.
Ground and neutral from the new cable make up with the others of their kind.

RBM January 24th 06 09:05 PM

wiring exhaust fan

Most likely, you need to run a cable from the switch to the new fan
location, however you must first determine if you have a "feed" at the
switch box. It is possible that the feed in one of the lighting outlets and
you only have switch legs (no neutral) in the switch box

ups.com...

Joseph Meehan January 24th 06 09:30 PM

wiring exhaust fan

wrote:
At present I have two lights in the bathroom. I would like to replace
one of the lights with an exhaust fan. One switch turns on both
lights, I would like to have a seperate switch for the exhaust fan.
Do I need to run wire from the exaust fan to the double switch and if
so how do I make the connection at the switch?

Thanx

Without knowing exactly what the wiring is now, it is not possible to
give you exact instructions. Likely you will need to run a couple of new
wires between the switch to one of the lights. However depending on where
the power is coming it, it could be complex.

You might also want to consider using an X-10 device and you will not
need to do any wiring. While I would prefer the hard wired method for
reliability, the X-10 should work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

mm January 24th 06 11:45 PM

wiring exhaust fan

On 24 Jan 2006 09:54:20 -0800, wrote:

At present I have two lights in the bathroom. I would like to replace
one of the lights with an exhaust fan. One switch turns on both
lights, I would like to have a seperate switch for the exhaust fan. Do
I need to run wire from the exaust fan to the double switch and if so
how do I make the connection at the switch?

Thanx

Not sure if this fits your situation, but in my case, the wire from
the switch ran to the light above the sink, and from there to the fan.

So I didn't have to run another wire to turn the fan on and off, I
just mounted a switch to the light fixture, I used a switch that
mounted in a round hole, and only required pushing it to turn it on
and off (since it is a little hard to reach). There was even a
knock-out in the light fixture to put the switch. Then I put a
second identical switch next to the first, to turn off the light over
the sinkr if I want to run the fan while I'm not in the room.

In the case of my mother, where this all wasn't possible, I used pull
chain switches, with a string, and I mounted them to the almuminum
grill in each bathroom. She hadn't complained even, but I knew that
fan, which was on even when she is just brushing her teeth, must drive
her crazy. I had to be careful to find a spot on the grills where
the switch wasn't obstructed by the box the fan was in, but there were
places like that.

I didn't like messing with an aparment in a building she didn't own,
but after she died, I removed the extra grab bars, cleaned everything
else well, and the secretary sort of implied I didn't have to all
that. My mother had been there for 8 years and always paid her rent,
and with 100 apartments, they didn't mind doing some clean-up it
seemed. But I'm sure they left the swtiches.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Mikepier January 25th 06 01:49 AM

wiring exhaust fan

Broan makes a combo light fan that takes the place of an existing
hi-hat. Something you might be interested in.
http://www.broan.com/display/router....oductID=100116