DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Torx security t-20 Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/141507-torx-security-t-20-question.html)

[email protected] January 22nd 06 10:02 PM

Torx security t-20 Question

Have run into these a couple of times. I have the proper tool. But on
the part I am working on it seems as if both bolts have the Torx t-20
head, but it looks like one bolt has some sort of gray cap that fits in
the head that prevents me from getting the bit into the slots. The
other bolt had no such covering and came right off.....

Anyone know about this. I don't want to ruin this $300 part by screwing
up the bolt....

Charlie Bress January 22nd 06 10:18 PM

Torx security t-20 Question

Are you sure it is a cap? There are Torx security fasteners That have a pin
sticking op in the middle. Sockets that have a hole to accommodate that pin
are available at HD etc and auto supply stores.

http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/indxSecuritytorx.htm

Charlie

oups.com...

mm January 22nd 06 10:28 PM

Torx security t-20 Question

On 22 Jan 2006 14:02:02 -0800, wrote:

Have run into these a couple of times. I have the proper tool. But on
the part I am working on it seems as if both bolts have the Torx t-20
head, but it looks like one bolt has some sort of gray cap that fits in
the head that prevents me from getting the bit into the slots. The
other bolt had no such covering and came right off.....

Anyone know about this. I don't want to ruin this $300 part by screwing
up the bolt....

If it's a pin like Charlie suggests, that's what makes it "security".
If there were nothing in the center, that would be just plain torx.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

[email protected] January 22nd 06 10:53 PM

Torx security t-20 Question

Are trying to remove a MAF sensor from a Ford? If so just grab the
offending bolt real good with a pair of wire cutters and twist it off.
I replaced mine with another bolt from another car in the junkyard, so
noe I have two without the gray crap. If you want to replace these
bolts, remember they are metric stainless steel, so that's what you
should use if you decide to replace them.

[email protected] January 22nd 06 11:19 PM

Torx security t-20 Question

wrote:
Are trying to remove a MAF sensor from a Ford? If so just grab the
offending bolt real good with a pair of wire cutters and twist it off.
I replaced mine with another bolt from another car in the junkyard, so
noe I have two without the gray crap. If you want to replace these
bolts, remember they are metric stainless steel, so that's what you
should use if you decide to replace them.

Scott, you nailed it exactly. I first ran in the T-20s repairing my
microwave oven last summer, so I have the bit. It was the "filled slot"
that baffled me.

After staring at the darn thing for a bit, I finally said "duh" and
grabbed a small pair of locking pliers. Worked fine. Cleaned the MAF
with electrical contact cleaner and the idle problem now seems to be
solved.....