DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How flat for laminate countertops? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/141504-how-flat-laminate-countertops.html)

handhillsrancher January 22nd 06 08:44 PM

How flat for laminate countertops?

Greetings,
While attempting to level the joint between the glued on oak edging
and the plywood counter top, I accidentally sanded some of the plywood
and created subtle undulations that follow the different grains on the
plywood. How flat does it have to be or what can I use to fill these '
voids ' ?

Robert Allison January 23rd 06 06:12 AM

handhillsrancher wrote:
Greetings,
While attempting to level the joint between the glued on oak edging
and the plywood counter top, I accidentally sanded some of the plywood
and created subtle undulations that follow the different grains on the
plywood. How flat does it have to be or what can I use to fill these '
voids ' ?

It must be very flat. No voids. Although you can get away
with having voids under the laminate, if you should drop
anything on that particular spot, then you will have a cracked
laminate countertop. Voids are easy to fill with rock hard
water putty. Overfill, then lightly hand sand until flat.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.