DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plywood sheathing vs asphalt fiberboard (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/141349-plywood-sheathing-vs-asphalt-fiberboard.html)

DD January 21st 06 07:28 PM

Plywood sheathing vs asphalt fiberboard

I can't find any info on this on the web.

I will be replacing masonite-like siding on my house with Hardie siding. The
original sheathing is a thin (1/8") cardboard covered in foil and will be
replaced. Does anyone have any pro/con information on a 1/2" plywood & 15 lb
felt paper combo vs 1/2" asphalt fiberboard sheathing? I live in Houston and
like the idea of not having wood for the termites and carpenter ants to
munch on so I am leaning toward the asphalt sheathing. It also appears to me
as a good way to ventilate while keeping the moisture out.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Gill January 22nd 06 02:33 PM

DD wrote:
I can't find any info on this on the web.

I will be replacing masonite-like siding on my house with Hardie siding. The
original sheathing is a thin (1/8") cardboard covered in foil and will be
replaced. Does anyone have any pro/con information on a 1/2" plywood & 15 lb
felt paper combo vs 1/2" asphalt fiberboard sheathing? I live in Houston and
like the idea of not having wood for the termites and carpenter ants to
munch on so I am leaning toward the asphalt sheathing. It also appears to me
as a good way to ventilate while keeping the moisture out.

Thanks in advance.

I'm definitely no expert, but I would use the plywood.
The plywood should provide much greater structural
rigidity than the fiberboard.

Bill Gill

DD January 22nd 06 04:31 PM

"Bill Gill" wrote in message
DD wrote:
[...]

That is definitely a consideration here as hurricanes do blow through here
with high winds from time to time.