Posted to alt.home.repair
Nexus7

Default Moving refrigerator : Which side down?

We have to move a side-by-side refrigerator in a minivan, which means
it can't be done upright. The general opinion seems to be that if you
move it on its side, then let it stand a day after the move before you
turn it on, and it'll be fine. On the net and web however, there is
more detailed but conflicting information.

- Lay the fridge down with the suction line below, or pointing downward
as it exits the compressor housing. The reasoning seems to be that the
suction line is larger and there aren't any valves in it, so the oil
can drain back faster compared to the compressor outlet side.

- Have the suction line above, because oil won't flow into the suction
side, and the outlet side is closed by the compressor valves, so oil
won't go there either.

Which side is better? It oil does migrate upward, is it necessary that
every drop come back down, or is a little oil fine and will eventually
come down as the compressor operates?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Nexus7 wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Just don't plug it in for 24 hours or so after move.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Reed

Nexus7 wrote:
[...]

GE prefers they be moved upright, but don't seem to care which side is
up if necessary(other than dolly should be on side). They do talk about
letting it set before turning it on.

see http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000318.htm

--reed

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think the reason to get the oil back down into the compressor is to
make sure it is lubricated before starting it up. I don't think it
would matter if 100% of the oil wasn't returned to the compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng

On 19 Jan 2006 19:35:47 -0800, "Nexus7" wrote:

We have to move a side-by-side refrigerator in a minivan, which means
it can't be done upright. The general opinion seems to be that if you
move it on its side, then let it stand a day after the move before you
turn it on, and it'll be fine. On the net and web however, there is
more detailed but conflicting information.

The information about letting the oil drain back to the sump is
probably correct. But there is a more important consideration. The
compressor is suspended in the middle of the canister via rubber
grommets pressed into four springs that are welded to the base of the
compressor canister. This is part of the noise isolation design. By
placing the fridge on its side the heavy compressor will flop on its
side and may pop out of one or more grommets from its spring mount(s).
If you run you van over a rough road the pop out is very likely. When
you set the fridge upright again everytime the compressor starts or
stops its torque will fling the compressor to hit the canister with a
thunk. The canister is hermetically sealed so you cannot do any
repairs. Over time the wires will fracture and you get a short
circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Nexus7 wrote:
[...]

This may help....

http://www.applianceaid.com/faq-side.html

When you get the fridge to the location you want it....keep the fridge
in the up-rite position for at least the same amount of time that the
refrigerator was laying down to help any oil in the lines to drain back
into the compressor before plugging it back in.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph E. Johnston

"Nexus7" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Especially if its a new/expensive fridge, I'd rent a pickup truck-- maybe
$50/day in my area. If its a short move, Home Depot rents them for $19.95
for an hour and a half.

Jos.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

FWIW-

Home Depot trucks are only for moving material purchased from HD, I
found this out when trying to "rent" their truck.

cheers
Bob

I'd just rent a U-Haul pickup, much cheaper than a new fridge

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph E. Johnston

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
FWIW-

Home Depot trucks are only for moving material purchased from HD, I
found this out when trying to "rent" their truck.

cheers
Bob

I'd just rent a U-Haul pickup, much cheaper than a new fridge

So buy a two by four ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

"Joseph E. Johnston" wrote in message
"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
FWIW-

Home Depot trucks are only for moving material purchased from HD, I
found this out when trying to "rent" their truck.

cheers
Bob

I'd just rent a U-Haul pickup, much cheaper than a new fridge

So buy a two by four ;-)

Or a sheet of 3/8 inch plywood.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nexus7

Joseph E. Johnston wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
Home Depot trucks are only for moving material purchased from HD, I
found this out when trying to "rent" their truck.
I'd just rent a U-Haul pickup, much cheaper than a new fridge

So buy a two by four ;-)

Thanks all for the replies. We moved it in a pickup rented from a big
box store, but it was a long drive and it got tilted as we took it up
the ramps, and steps, so I let it stand for about 8 hours before I
turned it on. It is working fine.

I bought some sheets of backerboard, since I needed those anyway, and
they are messy to transport. For the use of a truck for a few hours,
this is hard to beat. Every truck rental company charges by the mile;
at $0.50 to $1 a mile, things can get expensive unless you really are
moving locally.