Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Question: "This Old House" The Current Project

wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember reading an article in the Wall Street Journal over ten years
ago about how some of the projects had turned into mini disasters.
Seems it took a lot longer than anyone would have thought and the
homeowners wound up spending like 2X what they thought they would, even
with all the discounted or free materials.

Years ago they did a house in Phoenix. I went to the finish party. Met the
owners, they both were worried that they were not going to be able to pay
the loans off. The project did run well over 2 times the estimated cost.
They were happy with the results, just not the cost. They also mentioned the
"donated materials" were generally the cheapest of the needed materials and
were less than 1/4 of the total bill. Both of these folks were attorneys so
money should not have been a issue.
A year later I went by and the house was for sale. It did sell for a
premium for the area, but nothing close to what the property would have sold
for with out a major street near over the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My spouse just recently lost his foot up past the ankle do to an infection. We live on his disability check and really don't have the money for renovations that has to be done for him to be able to come home. We have to make our trailer wheel chair accessable for him. His father is helping with what he can afford but his father is living on a disability check also but his father can't help with the work cause he had 3strokes a little over a year and a half ago. It's a big strain on all of us trying to get the money and help to do this.
If you have any suggestions that could help us on how to get financal help and the man power (volintures) to help us please let me know I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and God bless you, barbara

Semi OT Electrical Question John Moorhead Woodworking 41 April 9th 04 06:22 PM
sequence of tripping CB Sam UK diy 13 March 24th 04 09:24 AM
How to reduce current on a cheapo mig welder? Keith Marshall Metalworking 3 September 3rd 03 08:46 AM
Another sparkies question about generators Eric R Snow Metalworking 47 August 30th 03 05:36 AM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM