DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Building a Floor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/141074-building-floor.html)

[email protected] January 19th 06 04:49 PM

Building a Floor

What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?

RicodJour January 19th 06 05:33 PM

Building a Floor

wrote:
What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?

Insufficient information for a meaningful response.

Try one of the online joist span calculators, such as the Canadian Wood
Council's, and provide the missing information. It will tell you the
allowable span based on deflection and wood species.

Don Phillipson January 19th 06 06:01 PM

Building a Floor

wrote in message
oups.com...

What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?

Your municipal building permit office can tell you.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

kyle york January 19th 06 10:16 PM

Building a Floor

Greetings,

Commodore Joe Redcloud© wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:34:41 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

You put too much faith in those guys.

It's not a matter of faith. Those are the guys who will be inspecting
whatever you build. If you don't meet thier requirements, you will be
tearing it back down and starting over again.

Not around here. There's a good chance the one inspecting isn't the same
one who works at the desk, and saying that you built according to the
requirements given to you at the desk means nothing.

For that matter go to the desk & talk to two different people, there's a
good chance you'll get two different answers, neither of which coincides
with what an inspector might say. Of course, the same inspector might
say different things on Tuesdays & Fridays.

From what I've seen honesty & integrity are sorely missing at building
departments.

--kyle

buffalobill January 20th 06 10:50 AM

Building a Floor

it depends on the span and the requirements in your local area.
some build a second floor deck with less, but ours is 8x8" posts, so
overbuilding is good here in this case since the deck overlooks a
cliff.

BobK207 January 20th 06 08:37 PM

Building a Floor

OP-

Joist depth needed is a function of span & spacing; check your local
code, check out some span calcuators on the web My 1930's hosue has
2x6 but they're supported every 4ft :)

also for long spans, to avoid winding up with a bouncy floor I would
suggest either reading & understanding

Canadian Building Digest
CBD-173. Floor Vibration

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cbd/cbd173_e.html

This is some very good work into the behavior of floor vibration

OR

short of doing the calcs (or having someone do them for you) I'd just
bump up to the next joist depth. I'd also consider engineered ood
joist for longer spans (again going deeper)

wood is cheap, problems are expensive

cheers
Bob

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 19 Jan 2006 08:49:35 -0800
Subject: Building a Floor

What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?

Shawn Pixley January 21st 06 05:28 PM

Building a Floor

Depends upon if you are using structural wall paper