Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie McCreary

Default galvanized water pipes, warning signs?

My wife and I are considering buying a 30 year old home in Houston, TX
and just finished the structure inspection. The inspector pointed out
that the house has galvanized water pipes and that in the attic there
is one patch and one medium sized rust spot visible.

One friend, home repair guy, is of the opinion this is a deal breaker
and he wouldn't buy a home with galvanized pipe without a major
concession from the seller due to the possibility of leakage. Another
friend, an architect and former house inspector, doesn't feel this is
a big deal.

Not knowing much about plumbing, I did a bit of reading and from what
I gather eventually these pipes will have to be replaced buy it
probably isn't an urgent issue since there are no current problems and
the house is in otherwise great shape.

Does anyone else have any strong opinions on this?

thanks,
Eddie

--
Eddie McCreary Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

they will be a problem sooner or later subject to their age and your
local water properties. for a perfect answer hire a plumber to replace
the main shutoff in the basement and have a look at the pipes. the
accumulation is most significant at elbows and reducer fittings and
shutoffs. in buffalo ny we have nice lake erie drinking water and no
softener required, no odd minerals or smells in the water. our 1910
rental property double house that was purchased in 1974 had all
galvanized pipes that had the problem of significantly reduced
waterflow with a couple of minor drips around the basement. back then
many had to be replaced as they become completely blocked. a few are
still in use. they fill up the interior pipe diameter to smaller than a
pencil diameter.
also: if copper is connected directly the galvanic action begins and
corrosion begins at the connection where a dielectric coupling should
have been used.
a 1955 house in south buffalo we bought has copper plumbing from when
it was built.
let us know how the gallons per minute vary between the basement
washtub hot and cold and the bathtub upstairs hot and cold. take a
water pressure meter along. check with the neighbors and the city about
water pipes and construction dates.

more reading of messages about galvanized water pipes at:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...rch+this+group

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You came to the correct conclusion. They will probably have to be replaced
eventually. The cost of replacement depends on how many are accessible.
Before you sign anything, hire a LOCAL plumber. Pay him for his advice and
ask for an estimate. He also may know of some stupid local plumbing code
that requires galvanized.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Eddie McCreary wrote:
[...]

I agree with Bob in that you should have a local plumber take a look and
give you some information. I would want the whole lot replaced. It appears
the pipes have reached the end of their useful life (based on the water
conditions in your area) so repairs are just going to be followed by more
repairs.

Now you need to decide about the house. Add in the cost of refitting
and add to the value of the house the security of new plumbing and ask
yourself if the price (including the replacement work) sounds like a good
deal for that house with nice new plumbing. If not, make a offer adjusted
for what you do believe it is worth.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get some plumber quotes for replacing all the galvanized with PEX, its
pretty easy to run and is durable.

now deduct that cost from your home price, since it will be necessary
sooner or later.

I hope your getting a complete home inspection! You can beat the seller
up on price, and anything found on your inspection HAS to be disclosed
to every shopper if you dont buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie McCreary

Thanks for the followups...

This house doesn't have a basement, the water table is too high here
in Houston, very, very few homes have them.

The inspector says that the pipes are galvanized and I know of several
other houses in the general area that had galvanized pipes, so I have
no reason to think they're made of anything else.

I am considering getting a plumber to give a repiping estimate as a
barganing tool.

thanks,
Eddie
--
Eddie McCreary Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
http://www.heorot.org to read. -Groucho Marx
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

I've had trouble getting homeowner's insurance because of old galvanized
piping (San Francisco Bay Area). I had to replace it to get coverage
(at attractive premiums). Perhaps I could have eventually found a
company to cover the galvanized but all in all it seemed preferable to
replace the pipes (which I think, but don't know, were original to the
1925 house.)

Eddie McCreary wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eddie McCreary wrote:

One friend, home repair guy, is of the opinion this is a deal breaker
and he wouldn't buy a home with galvanized pipe without a major
concession from the seller due to the possibility of leakage. Another
friend, an architect and former house inspector, doesn't feel this is
a big deal.

I have galvanised pipe in my house which is about 35 years old and it
still looks to be in good condition. The pipe won't rust through in
the life of the house. Only problem you might get is sometimes the
joints which are teflon tape or similar can deteriorate and drip.

If you can't find any drips, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

They will probably last another 20 years without any problems.

water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 09:23 PM
The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Repair 0 December 13th 05 07:04 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 03:01 AM