Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

Default Frozen padlock

I have a Masterlock padlock on my storage shed. Discovered much to my
dismay the keyhole was frozen over. Not the nicest situation when the
snow thrower is sitting behind that locked door!

Any real world recommendations for outdoor padlocks less likely to
become frozen? Or hints on weatherproofing the current one?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I have a Masterlock padlock on my storage shed. Discovered much to my
dismay the keyhole was frozen over. Not the nicest situation when the
snow thrower is sitting behind that locked door!

Any real world recommendations for outdoor padlocks less likely to
become frozen? Or hints on weatherproofing the current one?

Triflow a non silicone based lubricant. Not cheap, a lot better than the WD
product in my opinion for this application

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Happens all the time. Use a blow torch. I've seen padlock covers, do a
Google search. I've also seen plastic bags over them. Stick with Master.

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I have a Masterlock padlock on my storage shed. Discovered much to my
dismay the keyhole was frozen over. Not the nicest situation when the
snow thrower is sitting behind that locked door!

Any real world recommendations for outdoor padlocks less likely to
become frozen? Or hints on weatherproofing the current one?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

-On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:22:08 -0500, Jim wrote:

I have a Masterlock padlock on my storage shed. Discovered much to my
dismay the keyhole was frozen over. Not the nicest situation when the
snow thrower is sitting behind that locked door!

Any real world recommendations for outdoor padlocks less likely to
become frozen? Or hints on weatherproofing the current one?

In Emergency: wrap the lock with toilet paper and set a fire (use
caution of course).

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fabricate a cover for the lock...plastic bag will work...could build a
more elaborate cover out of wood metal etc....depends on your free
time....other things

We got one at work that freezes on our gate...I am usually the earliest
to work and I have a propane torch I keep just for that purpose...to
heat it up.

Ive tried the plastic bag thing at work but people who leave later than
I do wont put it on.....*******s.....so I torch that lock when its
frozen....Ive also been known to take a large ball pein hammer to it
also.....I just lay the lock on my bosses desk and tell him to get
another....of course we dont use master locks....at least I dont think
its a master lock as it is brass and a 4 number combination...

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I have a Masterlock padlock on my storage shed. Discovered much to my
dismay the keyhole was frozen over. Not the nicest situation when the
snow thrower is sitting behind that locked door!

Any real world recommendations for outdoor padlocks less likely to
become frozen? Or hints on weatherproofing the current one?

you might try this:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43631,43641

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message ...

I have a Masterlock padlock on my storage shed. Discovered much to my
dismay the keyhole was frozen over. Not the nicest situation when the
snow thrower is sitting behind that locked door!

Any real world recommendations for outdoor padlocks less likely to
become frozen? Or hints on weatherproofing the current one?

you might try this:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43631,43641

Water getting inside the lock not as much a problem a the water which
froze and sealed the keyhole.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim" wrote in message
Water getting inside the lock not as much a problem a the water which
froze and sealed the keyhole.

Ok, then simple solution. Depending on the height of hte lock, either put
it under your armpit or between your legs. In just a few short minutes, the
ice will be gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

"Jim" wrote in message ...

I have a Masterlock padlock on my storage shed. Discovered much to my
dismay the keyhole was frozen over. Not the nicest situation when the
snow thrower is sitting behind that locked door!

Any real world recommendations for outdoor padlocks less likely to
become frozen? Or hints on weatherproofing the current one?

you might try this:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43631,43641

Water getting inside the lock not as much a problem a the water which
froze and sealed the keyhole.

I don't get it. The lock he suggests has a solution for that too.
Plus the other suggestions.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Jim" wrote in message ...

you might try this:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43631,43641

Water getting inside the lock not as much a problem a the water which
froze and sealed the keyhole.

Perhaps with one of these you wouldn't be in this conundrum to begin with.

Hit it with a torch or hair dryer.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

"Jim" wrote in message ...

you might try this:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43631,43641

Water getting inside the lock not as much a problem a the water which
froze and sealed the keyhole.

Perhaps with one of these you wouldn't be in this conundrum to begin with.

Hit it with a torch or hair dryer.....

Guess I'll take a second look at that and see what I may have missed

Sawing frozen logs QWeaver Woodworking 3 December 16th 05 09:26 PM
Frozen acetylen ? Francois Metalworking 3 January 24th 05 03:02 PM
frozen glue Mike in Mystic Woodworking 12 February 1st 04 02:37 PM