DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insulation and razor blades (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/140905-insulation-razor-blades.html)

Larry Bud January 18th 06 10:38 PM

Insulation and razor blades

Putting up insulation for the first time in my life, and noticed that
my razors get black crap all over them in short order.

Is the fiberglass doing that, or is it some glue in the kraft paper?

TAB Dude January 19th 06 12:27 AM

Insulation and razor blades

The paper is coated with tar as a vapor retardant. Also doubles as the
adhesive that holds the glass on.

TAB Dude

Roger January 20th 06 04:57 AM

Insulation and razor blades

Yes, that is adhesive and moisture barrier, the goop, that is.
I find it much easier to use a very large pair of shop scissors to cut the
batts in two stages, first on the paper side, then the pink fuzzy side, and
it comes apart. Also, much less buildup of tar vs a utility knife blade.

oups.com...