Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fresh air intake requirements for a gas water heater?

What would be the fresh air intake requirements for a 36,000 BTU
natural gas water heater?

I used to have a 72,000 BTU 80% natural gas furnace, and a 36,000 BTU
natural gas water heater. The fresh air intake for both was provided
by a vent (i.e. hole) in my basement wall in the furnace room to the
outside.

I've since upgraded my furnace to a 93% efficiency model, so its fresh
air intake is supplied by a PVC pipe that runs outside through the
concrete foundation (through a new hole).

So I'm wondering (hoping) whether I can make the original vent smaller,
as it now only serves the water heater, and all the cold air coming in
from the outside is wasting energy needlessly.

The furnace installer (who was pretty junior as he was young and
screwed a couple of things up and I had to call the company back to fix
the problems with an older repair man) had said to leave the original
vent alone. But I would think that the water heater (36,000 BTU) could
suffice with a smaller fresh air intake vent than what was originally
done to serve both the water heater and the furnace? Assuming the vent
size is related to the BTU capacity, the gas water heater represents
1/3 of the original setup (36,000+72,000).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
So I'm wondering (hoping) whether I can make the original vent smaller,
as it now only serves the water heater, and all the cold air coming in
from the outside is wasting energy needlessly.

The furnace installer (who was pretty junior as he was young and
screwed a couple of things up and I had to call the company back to fix
the problems with an older repair man) had said to leave the original
vent alone.

I lived in three houses with gas water heaters. They had no vents at all.
I see no reason it could not be reduced a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Not knowing the exact situation, you need 1 sq inch per 10k btu of fresh
air, one air inlet high and one low.
Respond directly to me and I can send you the ~4 meg pdf file. That I have
or you can use google like I did

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andrew Duane

The installation manual for the heater should have pretty clear specs
on air intake. These things are calculated by the manufacturer, just so
the installer or homeowner doesn't have to "guess". Not that it stops
them from guessing anyway :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I dought you need an intake, it just cools the house, close it and check
for no flue draw, houses leak alot of air. Get a blower door test to
confirm it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

If the water heater is in the durnace room and the furnace room is
closed off from the rest of the basement ; the fresh air inlet may
still be required, depending on the size of the furnace room. You can
probably reduce it in size. I don't have my code books with me, but
SQLit may have all you need. Have him email it to you.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

I don't need to be current on code. The people who built our houses
are the ones who had to be current on code. All of our houses were
built by major contractors, so I can only assume they and the building
inspectors knew what they were doing.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:58:44 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

You're sure not current on code.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
.. .
On 19 Jan 2006 06:16:20 -0800, wrote:

Thank you all for the replies. I'll call the energy company to
confirm
whether it is needed or not (my hot water tank is a rental).
Last
night I spoke to a few friends and family members living in
relatively
new houses, and none of them had a vent specifically for their
hot
water tanks, so it may not be needed at all.

Of all the houses we have owned or rented in six states we have
never
had a separate air intake for our gas water heaters. Typically,
the
heater is in the garage. Sometimes it is inside the house, like
where
we live now. The heater just draws its air from the house or
garage.
I suppose if it was in a closet with a sealed door, you might
need a
vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SQLit, Kara Walton wrote:
Could you please send me the PDF file you have. I am sealing my hot water tank
closet and want to make sure my high low inlets are correct.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ter-81796-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, Kara Walton wrote:
replying to SQLit, Kara Walton wrote:
Could you please send me the PDF file you have. I am sealing my hot water tank
closet and want to make sure my high low inlets are correct.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ter-81796-.htm

That post was made over 10 years ago. You think the poster is still
there, at the keyboard, waiting to respond to your request?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 4:48 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, Kara Walton wrote:
replying to SQLit, Kara Walton wrote:
Could you please send me the PDF file you have. I am sealing my hot water tank
closet and want to make sure my high low inlets are correct.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ter-81796-.htm

That post was made over 10 years ago. You think the poster is still
there, at the keyboard, waiting to respond to your request?

he is if he is one of the Obummer supporters who are still blaming
everything on Bush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Taxed and Spent, follybud wrote:
yep ... dems tax & spend and publicans borrow and spend ... both hurt but only
one requires you check your brains at the door ...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ter-81796-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SQLit, Beaul Haynes wrote: