DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Floor tiling question, Between room transitions (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/140135-floor-tiling-question-re-between-room-transitions.html)

Al Kondo January 13th 06 10:42 PM

Floor tiling question, Between room transitions

I am in the process of tiling my kitchen and living room. I am using
porcelain tile. My problem is that I am using cement board on plywood
in my kitchen as a base, but my living room has a concrete slab. In
the living room, I plan to tile directly onto the slab. My problem is
that I will have a quarter inch height differential between the tiles
in my kitchen vs. that of the living room. I have found threshold
pieces at Home Depot which will allow for the quarter inch difference
in height. However, I wondered if there were other ways of handling
this little problem. Your ideas will be appreciated.

Al Kondo

RicodJour January 14th 06 03:16 AM

Al Kondo wrote:
I am in the process of tiling my kitchen and living room. I am using
porcelain tile. My problem is that I am using cement board on plywood
in my kitchen as a base, but my living room has a concrete slab. In
the living room, I plan to tile directly onto the slab. My problem is
that I will have a quarter inch height differential between the tiles
in my kitchen vs. that of the living room. I have found threshold
pieces at Home Depot which will allow for the quarter inch difference
in height. However, I wondered if there were other ways of handling
this little problem. Your ideas will be appreciated.

You could taper the 1/4" with topping cement over eight or ten feet and
it would be unnoticeable. Whether it's worth the effort is hard to
tell without knowing how the rooms are connected.

dadiOH January 14th 06 04:00 AM

Al Kondo wrote:
I am in the process of tiling my kitchen and living room. I am using
porcelain tile. My problem is that I am using cement board on plywood
in my kitchen as a base, but my living room has a concrete slab. In
the living room, I plan to tile directly onto the slab. My problem is
that I will have a quarter inch height differential between the tiles
in my kitchen vs. that of the living room. I have found threshold
pieces at Home Depot which will allow for the quarter inch difference
in height. However, I wondered if there were other ways of handling
this little problem. Your ideas will be appreciated.

Al Kondo

Doorway twixt the two? Area in the doorway slab? Cut tiles to fit that
area and tilt down; i.e, thick mud on kitchen side, normal on LR side.
Probably look better if tiles are cut into 1-2" widths...that way it is
a "feature".

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

[email protected] January 15th 06 10:16 AM

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:42:22 GMT, (Al Kondo) wrote:

I am in the process of tiling my kitchen and living room. I am using
porcelain tile. My problem is that I am using cement board on plywood
in my kitchen as a base, but my living room has a concrete slab. In
the living room, I plan to tile directly onto the slab. My problem is
that I will have a quarter inch height differential between the tiles
in my kitchen vs. that of the living room. I have found threshold
pieces at Home Depot which will allow for the quarter inch difference
in height. However, I wondered if there were other ways of handling
this little problem. Your ideas will be appreciated.

Al Kondo

Just get a brass or aluminum carpet bar and put in about 5 or 6 screws
(on the wood side of course ---- or use plastic anchors in concrete, I
said carpet bar because they are wider than a linoleum edge strip,
thus you get a better transition in height differences. This is quick
and imexpensive, and looks nice.