Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Preble

Default I cannot get the cap/bonnet off my kitchen faucet

I have a Delta ball-type kitchen faucet. It's the same one for which I
busted the set screw a few nights ago. With that replaced, I'm back to
trying to get the cap off so I can eventually get to the diverter. The
sprayer isn't getting much pressure, and I had just replaced it, so I
expect the diverter is at fault. However, I cannot get the cap off.

I removed the plastic retainer ring with some long-nosed pliers. After
that, I taped up my plumber's wrench and went to town. I can see the
faucet base trying to turn in place; it's more likely I'll rip off the
faucet from the base before I get that cap loosened. Lefty loosy, correct?

I tried spraying in some liquid wrench, but it hasn't seemed to help.
I'm thinking if I follow that up with a lot of vinegar, I might be able
to get away at the mineral deposits that seem to be holding my faucet
together. Just pouring vinegar into the ball with the handle removed
gave me a little more pressure from the sprayer. Is there anything
clever to do, or do I have to replace the faucet?
Posted to alt.home.repair
bryer

"Adam Preble" wrote in message
[...]

Are you sure it's meant to come off? I had a faucet that I tried to take a
part and it turned out to be just an el cheapo that you could not
disassemble.

Maybe try going to Delta's web site to see of they have an exploded view
diagram of your faucet, or just search the web with your faucet part or
model number to get the diagram, then you can see what parts are meant to
come off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Preble

bryer wrote:
Are you sure it's meant to come off? I had a faucet that I tried to take a
part and it turned out to be just an el cheapo that you could not
disassemble.

Maybe try going to Delta's web site to see of they have an exploded view
diagram of your faucet, or just search the web with your faucet part or
model number to get the diagram, then you can see what parts are meant to
come off.

It looks like it's supposed to come off. At least the cap is a distinct
part.