DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wireing a duct fan into a basic US 110V outlet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/139784-wireing-duct-fan-into-basic-us-110v-outlet.html)

[email protected] January 11th 06 05:01 PM

Wireing a duct fan into a basic US 110V outlet

I am trying to pass air through a room in my basement, to try and help
circulate the air better down there. There is no wireing in the walls
and I have very basic electrical skills, but am good at following
directions.

http://www.smarthome.com/3011.html

Here is a fan I am looking out. It says it comes to be wired into a
switch, What would be involved in wireing this fan to plug into an AC
outlet. I just want it to fit into a standard US 110V outlet, so I can
plug in as needed. I searched the internet for about a month now and
can not find any information, so I am thinking either this is not
possible, very very easy (answer I am hoping for) or can not be done
(although I would think it would be very possible).

Any input would be great ... Thanks

[email protected] January 11th 06 05:13 PM

wrote:
I am trying to pass air through a room in my basement, to try and help
circulate the air better down there. There is no wireing in the walls
and I have very basic electrical skills, but am good at following
directions.

http://www.smarthome.com/3011.html

Here is a fan I am looking out. It says it comes to be wired into a
switch, What would be involved in wireing this fan to plug into an AC
outlet. I just want it to fit into a standard US 110V outlet, so I can
plug in as needed. I searched the internet for about a month now and
can not find any information, so I am thinking either this is not
possible, very very easy (answer I am hoping for) or can not be done
(although I would think it would be very possible).

Any input would be great ... Thanks

I do not see any problem with wiring it with a plug.

You would want to check the motor amp rating. If it has a very high
rating you might want to wire it to a switched outlet.

Bob January 11th 06 06:24 PM

wrote in message oups.com...
I am trying to pass air through a room in my basement, to try and help
circulate the air better down there. There is no wireing in the walls
and I have very basic electrical skills, but am good at following
directions.

http://www.smarthome.com/3011.html

Here is a fan I am looking out. It says it comes to be wired into a
switch, What would be involved in wireing this fan to plug into an AC
outlet. I just want it to fit into a standard US 110V outlet, so I can
plug in as needed. I searched the internet for about a month now and
can not find any information, so I am thinking either this is not
possible, very very easy (answer I am hoping for) or can not be done
(although I would think it would be very possible).

Any input would be great ... Thanks

The wiring is trivial. Two wires from the motor go to two conductors in the cord.
Ground in the cord goes to the ground connector on the metal of the fan.

Unless you need the duct connections, a 'thru-wall' kitchen exhaust fan might
make a neater installation. Check the noise levels of whatever you buy.

Bob

[email protected] January 13th 06 02:46 PM

Wireing a duct fan into a basic US 110V outlet

Great thanks alot guys for the input, I figured a plug would work, but
I was nervous about starting a fire from my lack of electrical
understanding.

I was hoping to adviod a switched outlet, what would be the max amp
rating you would concider "safe" when doing this?

Larry Bud January 13th 06 07:38 PM

wrote:
Great thanks alot guys for the input, I figured a plug would work, but
I was nervous about starting a fire from my lack of electrical
understanding.

I was hoping to adviod a switched outlet, what would be the max amp
rating you would concider "safe" when doing this?

There is no "safe" limit, provided the panel, breaker, wiring, and
outlet are all rated for more than the fan.

That fan is pretty small. It's just a 6" fan. It's much smaller than
one of those 20" box fans.

[email protected] January 14th 06 12:57 AM

On 13 Jan 2006 06:46:51 -0800, wrote:

Great thanks alot guys for the input, I figured a plug would work, but
I was nervous about starting a fire from my lack of electrical
understanding.

I was hoping to adviod a switched outlet, what would be the max amp
rating you would concider "safe" when doing this?

If you are having this much trouble putting a plug on it, either hire
an electrician, or take the fan to a reputable hardware store and see
if they will do it for a few bucks. You can also take the fan to an
electrician and I'm sure it wont cost much if they dont have to travel
to your place. I always tey to help people DIY, but you seem far too
uncomfortable and lacking in expreience. Get some help. Maybe you
have a handy friend or relative that can help too. Spend a few bucks
and prevent a major fire or electricution.