Posted to alt.home.repair
427Cobraman

Default Guidelines for capping off a PVC drainpipe in the basement flush with floor?

I relocated a drain for the upstairs washer and am wondering if there
is any type of code that needs to be addressed as far as capping off
the unused drain (PVC). I would like to cut it off flush with the
basement floor since I will be finishing the basement, and I'm
wondering how I should cap it off. Is there an inside-diameter plug I
could glue in then fill with quick-crete or should I chip out the
concrete that is around the pipe down far enough to place a standard
cap on then fill and level with quick-crete? Thanks,
Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I've never seen a PVC plug that can be glued inside a pipe, but that doesn't
mean they don't make them. They do make an inside plug that you tighten with
a bolt, (similar to a replacement freeze plug for automobile engines). If
you use one of those, you can always take it out if you have drain problems.

"427Cobraman" wrote in message
oups.com...
I relocated a drain for the upstairs washer and am wondering if there
is any type of code that needs to be addressed as far as capping off
the unused drain (PVC). I would like to cut it off flush with the
basement floor since I will be finishing the basement, and I'm
wondering how I should cap it off. Is there an inside-diameter plug I
could glue in then fill with quick-crete or should I chip out the
concrete that is around the pipe down far enough to place a standard
cap on then fill and level with quick-crete? Thanks,
Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

Another option is to install a floor cleanout fitting. You would need to
chip out
some clearance. The fitting utilizes a female thread adapter, then the
cleanout fitting that threads into the adapter. You can adjust height
accurately because of the threaded assembly. When set at the right
height, you can mud in the remaining gap.
They have these fittings at Lowes.
Bill

"427Cobraman" wrote in message
oups.com...
I relocated a drain for the upstairs washer and am wondering if there
is any type of code that needs to be addressed as far as capping off
the unused drain (PVC). I would like to cut it off flush with the
basement floor since I will be finishing the basement, and I'm
wondering how I should cap it off. Is there an inside-diameter plug I
could glue in then fill with quick-crete or should I chip out the
concrete that is around the pipe down far enough to place a standard
cap on then fill and level with quick-crete? Thanks,
Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Jan 2006 04:21:18 -0800, "427Cobraman"
wrote:

I relocated a drain for the upstairs washer and am wondering if there
is any type of code that needs to be addressed as far as capping off
the unused drain (PVC). I would like to cut it off flush with the
basement floor since I will be finishing the basement, and I'm
wondering how I should cap it off. Is there an inside-diameter plug I
could glue in then fill with quick-crete or should I chip out the
concrete that is around the pipe down far enough to place a standard
cap on then fill and level with quick-crete? Thanks,
Alex

Cutting it off at floor level is just plain stupid. If you ever need
a cleanout, you wont be able to use it, and there are no internal
plugs made except the ones that seal a expandable rubber ring when you
tighten a nut on top. But that nut will stick above the floor and
will become a thing to trip on. Just leave it stick a foot or so
above the floor and put a standard cleanout plug on the end.
Otherwise, remove all the concrete around it and completely remove it.
You could also put a flange there and have an extra toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Theres a rubber cover that attaches over the pipe with a big hose
clamp. If your cementing over this drop a tin can over the combo, makes
it easy to unearth if ever needed

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

I would suggest chipping away the concrete & installing a "silp to
female thread" adapter & use a Brass Cleanout Plug with a recessed
square driving element.

If you REALLY don't think you'll ever need it, I'd remove the line back
to the nearest active line; cut & plug or cap there rather than
concreting over an unused line.

just my HO.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
427Cobraman

bill allemann wrote:
[...]

Well, this drain is the only one on this particular branch and I will
never need to access it. The basement is already roughed-in for a full
bath, so those bases are covered. Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The previous owners cut off a drain pipe (cast iron) flush with the
basement floor when they remodeled the kitchen. When I bought the
house, the pipe was just open - no cap. I capped it with an expanding
rubber plug (wing nut to expand). It stuck up above the floor, but I
didn't care as it was in the laundry area out of the way. It came in
real handy with my kitchen remodel since I moved the sink back to it's
original location. I wish they had left it above the floor to make
reconnection easier, but was still able to do it with a donut on the ID
and some new PVC.